Fireproof Tent ??

rorkin

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Atlantic city asking for Fire proof tent.. I assume they mean fire retardant.
How does one check ? Is this a common request ?
How often do fire marshals inspect ?

There is a tag on the awning. On my impact canopy it's on the inside of the lip and my other one is sewn into the seam on the ceiling.

Ive been told that it's a mandatory requirement on tents sold in North America so they should all be.

As already stated there will be a tag sewn in that will state fire retardent. Not sure on the laws but I do know that I have one with a tag in it and one that does not. I bought them both new so I am sure that no one cut the tag out. I have had the one with no tag for many years though.

Hope it is now mandatory.. will look.
This fire marshal made a point of it so there must be some out there without

Typically, the higher priced brands like EZ-Up and Caravan will have the tags. The cheaper products like those carried by Walmart usually don't.

In A/C check your fire extingquishers, they are a bit uptight about those.

Speaking as a Fire Marshal, not in NJ, most of the non-commercial grade 10x10 & 12x12 EZ Ups do not have the fire retardant tags, some select ones do. The issue of being fire retardant is more if your cooker is under your tent. This is what I gathered from talking with them about it at last year's AC comp. Make sure you have the proper size fire extinguisher with a current inspection tag or a store receipt that it was purchased within the last year. Be compliant with them and you shouldn't have any problems.

When I was in AC two years ago they didn't bust my chops about the tent, but as the others have said they were very concerned about the fire extinguisher.

I went to a contest a couple years ago and they were checking fire extinguishers, would accept none that did not have an inspection tag on it. You could have bought it brand new on your way to the contest, but unless it was inspected and had a tag it was considered no good.

Ever heard of a canopy catching fire at a BBQ contest?

Me neither.

Yeh no doubt! But I've stood in 3 inches of water trying to keep from getting electrocuted to death at a contest while standing under my tent. Lol. I was frantically trying to unplug all of my extension cords during the crazy rains! So for me I have found I'm far more worried about things like than catching my tent on fire.

Last edited:
Back