• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Braised Short Rib concern

Weberlamp

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The wife and I just catered an event for 100 people, proteins were pulled pork and braised short ribs. We served 60% of each item. The butts (4 of them) were no issue. The short ribs on the other hand left us with questions. We cooked them as we have in the past. Sear on all sides in cast iron, then in to the oven a 325 to braise for 2 hours. When i checked them about 1:45 in to the cook they came out and were extremely tight. I let them go another 20 min at 350, they were still very tight and not fall apart as they should be. After the event when we picked up or supplies out client said they beef ribs were a hit and there were no leftovers. My question, is is possible that after we pulled the ribs from the oven, and they sat in the cambro until service (approx 1 hour), could they have gotten more tender? If they were tight at 1:45 in to the cook, were they over done, or did they need more time. Is the client just being nice and they ended up ordering pizza?

They may very well have cooked more in holding but it would be very difficult for anyone to tell at this point. I know many caterers will cook beef to 100-110 degrees and hit the hotbox for a service several hours late and the beef will continue to cook to a perfect rare. Have you cooked them in the past like this and if so did you have different results? I'd maybe run a few test sessions if you plan to keep cooking them for clients. Post results here if you do, they could be helpful to all of us.

Back