• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Aussie v. Kiwi v. 'Merica Lamb

Strange that a Kiwi is making suggestions about Aussies and sheep.
Muzza is homesick and pining for the ewes, John:wink: :laugh:
For me one of the best cuts is a leg of mutton (old & tough). Brined as if making a ham or corned beef. Cold smoke for 6 hours. Then Sous Vide at 135F for 48 hours. Sear and serve. Wow. Tender and great flavour.
Wow, I would love to taste that.
I adore hogget and am annoyed it is so hard to get!

I've had lamb in Oz, New Zealand and here. I loved them all. Probably the very best lamb I've had was in New Zealand when we were staying at the Lodge (or something like that) at the Franz Joseph Glacier. We had a spectacular rack of lamb with an awesome bottle of Australian wine and the bill was so small I was embarrassed. Granted, this was 1986.... :roll:

The best lamb I have ever eaten was in the Northern UK outside of Carlisle. With that said, you can get some world class lamb if you do as Thirdeye does. However, the best lamb is fresh killed, and that is a treat few of us can afford sadly...

My entry to the Julia Child Throwdown was an Australian Rack of Lamb. I don't care if it came from Mars. It was beautiful in color, fat to meat ratio perfect, sized so that blind man could judge it's age and it smelled like a young sch........ never mind, wrong forum. It was perfect.
I have to say however, I normally do not buy lamb here in the states. I think there has been a bit of a struggle dating back for centuries between land owners. Sheep were considered to be grazing land killers. They tear out the grass by the roots rather than clipping it off clean. Throughout my travels I have seen vast pastures of sheep in Europe and although they may be for shearing and wool, they always make me want to eat lamb. I don't see them here in Florida. We have a lot of cows, pigs, goats, alpaca's and horses, but not too many sheep. All things considered, if they are raised to the same age, fed the same feed, and finished using the same methods, grass or grain finished and they come from the same genetic lineage, they should be theoretically be the same. Just Sayin.......................................

If I am wrong sorry my Baaaaaaaahhhhhddd! :crazy:

The best lamb I have ever eaten was in the Northern UK outside of Carlisle. With that said, you can get some world class lamb if you do as Thirdeye does. However, the best lamb is fresh killed, and that is a treat few of us can afford sadly...

Very interesting. I grew up eating lamb a LOT. Oddly, I'd have to say the best lamb I had also was in the UK at a pub in the Nottingham Victoria train station, oddly enough, some 15 years ago. It truly was fabulous.

The best lamb I ever had was in Ireland. I have had lamb in the US and Oz. I haven't been to NZ.

What I find most humorous is the OZ vs NZ claims of sheep farking. For Chrests sake, all ya'll are just two islands of criminals anyways. Of course you're farking sheep. Have you seen your women?!?!?

:twisted:

I've had lamb in Oz, New Zealand and here. I loved them all. Probably the very best lamb I've had was in New Zealand when we were staying at the Lodge (or something like that) at the Franz Joseph Glacier. We had a spectacular rack of lamb with an awesome bottle of Australian wine and the bill was so small I was embarrassed. Granted, this was 1986.... :roll:

Tight ass tipper huh ?

The best lamb I ever had was in Ireland. I have had lamb in the US and Oz. I haven't been to NZ.

What I find most humorous is the OZ vs NZ claims of sheep farking. For Chrests sake, all ya'll are just two islands of criminals anyways. Of course you're farking sheep. Have you seen your women?!?!?

:twisted:

Have you seen your women?!?!?

No where have you hidden them, :noidea: Your From?

You had. Quote. "The best lamb I ever had was in Ireland. I have had lamb in the US and Oz. I haven't been to NZ"
So you go around Molesting sheep in different countries and hiding our women.
Shame on you:nono::nono::nono::nono:

nthole.. "What I find most humorous is the OZ vs NZ claims of sheep farking. For Chrests sake, all ya'll are just two islands of criminals anyways."

Mate ... all the convicts were either shipped to The West Island (Australia to you yanks) and Norfolk Island. The South Island and mainland (North Island) of New Zealand were populated by fare paying immigrants not pommy criminal exports!

Muzza, slumming it with the criminals in Perth for a while.

nthole.. "What I find most humorous is the OZ vs NZ claims of sheep farking. For Chrests sake, all ya'll are just two islands of criminals anyways."

Mate ... all the convicts were either shipped to The West Island (Australia to you yanks) and Norfolk Island. The South Island and mainland (North Island) of New Zealand were populated by fare paying immigrants not pommy criminal exports!

Muzza, slumming it with the criminals in Perth for a while.
Those fare payng no hopers didn't get convicts because they hadnt the infrastructure, had nothing to do with colonization.
Muzz, your kiwi education is showing you up!:tongue:

The USA got 400% more convicts than Australia, the majority to New England...funny that.:hand:

The criminal classes where the blokes with uniforms and the administrators, as history has born out.:caked:
Apparently , the American convicts all went straight into politics, just like here!:twitch::mmph:

BTW, we regard it with pride if we have a convict in our past, and shame if we have a trooper or administrator in our past.
Or the informed Aussies do.
:tongue:

Not that I'm biased but which sheep is going to taste the best? Kiwi ones raised on green grass or Ozzy ones raised on sand(wichs).The true test is feed levels and age. If Merrycan lamb is truly hogget age then I feel sorry for y'all. Hogget is a kind of in between thing... too old to be tender young lamb and not enough flavour to be awesome mutton yet!

I know that picture of the kiwi mother and daughter by themselves on green grass will be exciting to my Ozzy hosts so share it happily. .... the true identity and location of the girls will remain a secret so no need to dob me in to the animal welfare chaps for spreading Ozzy outback pron on the innernet. Anyway the photo was taken to show the arty contrast of virgin white and healthy green ........ thats my story and I'm sticking to it OK!

Muzza .. stuck in Perth for a while and living with a bunch of under arm bowlers!!.:wink:

Attachments

• ozzy sheep.jpg
    ozzy sheep.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 59
  • kiwilamb.jpeg
    kiwilamb.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 59

Our grass is definitely greener...what else would you be doing over here!:tongue:

I rest our case!:rolleyes::biggrin1:

Breed plays a huge role in the flavor of the meat, as does feed and age, as mentioned by others here. I raise sheep, and have been through a few breeds and the difference in meat from breed to breed, raised side by side and slaughtered at the same age, is staggering. Like, could be a whole 'nother animal. Anyway, to answer the question, the best tasting lamb is from my pasture! Hah, kidding, but I would have no idea what the imports taste like, that chit is expensive! Anyone close enough want to try some of mine out, hit me up. All this years' lambs are spoken for but there will be more next spring.

The USA got 400% more convicts than Australia, the majority to New England...funny that.:hand:

400% more quantity or 400% more quality? That is how we whipped their arses back to Buckingham. You boys were too busy with those sheep to fight.....

I kid, I kid...

We buy local lamb. That way I get to choose exactly how old and what they are eating. With out the benefits you guys enjoy. :tongue:

I've only had New Zeland and Murica' lamb and there is a huge difference. Imported is way better. US lamb is larger and grain hammered with feed. Which is what we do, make it bigger, and make it cheaper.

In doing that we have lost a lot of the real lamb flavor. Any untrained eye can easily spot the difference in size and flesh color when comparing the two lamb racks side by side.

I love the stuff, just can't afford it much.

A number of years ago I spent 5 weeks working for the Asian Development Bank in Quetta (in Pakistan on border of Afganistan). Lamb & goat were served young and both called mutton. But on many street corners (dirt roads) enterprising locals built fires and BBQed "mutton" by pushing a sharpened stick through a leg and sticking it in the ground and turning as necessary. Give them a $1 and they would sprinkle some salt on the meat and wrap it in massive pieces of flat bread to take a way. Definitely superior to Macdonalds!!!

Back