Photobucket screw job.

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
Folks

Photobucket has taken the screws to it's user community. Without warning they've blocked linked or embedded images that are displayed on what they call "3rd party sites".

Third party sites are, well, anyone that's not them.

So, what you will see here, is in the case of an embedded image from photo bucket, a box stating the user needs to upgrade their free account to a $399 year account. Somehow, I see extortion. ;)

I'm going to research alternatives for our membership, possibly setting up our own hosting area.

We can also move to imgur or another free site.

Lastly, the photos that are here already, CAN still be displayed by right clicking the box and choosing view image.

I'm on it and will find alternatives for us within a few days. For the time being, we can use the hosting here, which has always been available, but we have to be aware that it will suck up bandwidth. Its an ok alternative for the time being.

There is a simple way to do that here by uploading to our own local photo gallery.

1. Its in the "community" tab on top.
  2. "Pictures and Albums"
  3. Set up an Album for yourself.(Set it to "PUBLIC")
  4. Upload photos to that album.
  5. Open the photo you want to embed elsewhere and copy the embedded code in the bottom from the "picture URL" box
  6. Paste that code to embed in your post the same way you would with photobucket.

Its basically the same steps as photo bucket, but the hosting is here on our server.

More info here on the photobucket putz move.

Thanks Phil! What a PITA!

There is a full tutorial in the stickies area of the Techie section of the forum on posting from several other photo hosting sites if you would like to switch from PB while we figure this out.

Ya - I got 2200 pics on Photobucket - half of them posted in threads on here.....

Started using Imgur recently because photobucket was slow and unreliable, I hate that all my older posts as well as other Brethren with pics are gone.

FU photobucket!!! :mad:

technically, they are not gone, to display them, right click the box, choose view image.

the%20beast_zpsxwyz1cce.jpg

im not sure why, but my photos still show up.. I have an old paid "plus20" Account. Maybe grandfathered in?? are you folks seeing the photo I posted above?

My gripe with Photobucket goes back to their last face lift which was supposed to make changes for the better. One feature that disappeared was the ability to search in ones own albums using the description which was attached to each photo. Like for example searching for "ribs" would extract all of my photos that had that word I the description. for a year I sent them e-mails asking when this would be restored, and the answer was something like "it's not high on the priority list, but we will get to it". I have a pro account and have about 20 libraries, some work and some personal photos... but I have somewhere around 4000 photos. With some work I can find the things I need to, but no search feature is a PITA.

technically, they are not gone, to display them, right click the box, choose view image.
Using Safari right click gives you the option to open image in a new tab which is a PITA and for those that like to use their tablets and smart phones to browse the forums that's not an option.

Still a total screw job.

I'm on the Imgur train as well. The app doesn't quite have all the easy features of Photobucket, but free to use. I had too many pics on photobucket which caused me to have to upgrade past free usage so I stopped.

Check out Imgur if you haven't. The one thing the app doesn't have is an easy ability to size down pics, but if you simply add a "l" to the end of the BBCode it makes the size large vs it is huge if you don't size it down.

Anyways. Imgur has been good to me for the last year posting here.

Using Safari right click gives you the option to open image in a new tab which is a PITA and for those that like to use their tablets and smart phones to browse the forums that's not an option.

Still a total screw job.

On an iPhone or iPad you can hold your finger on the picture and a menu will pop up and Open Image is one of the choices. Not sure about Android.

On an iPhone or iPad you can hold your finger on the picture and a menu will pop up and Open Image is one of the choices. Not sure about Android.
Tried that on my iPad and options are to save image or copy.

On my IPhone it opens pic in new box......IF Photobucket didn't SUCK and have so much down time I'd pay a reasonable service fee - like $30 -$40 a year or such......they claim to have 100 million users.......

Last edited:
I was trying to open some pics off of one of my old threads and was getting the save image or copy, I was able to open Smitty's pic on my iPad, so I guess I just can't open my own :crazy:

Well this sucks. I browse with phone and tablet so im sol.

Ive never been able figure out posting pics with anything but the puke bucket. Ill have to learn

I checked some of my old posts and my pics show up here. Is there a difference between using the IMG link vs the direct or HTML options? Pretty sure I use the IMG link when posting...they seem to still be showing up....

What a crap policy. I bet if they gave folks a 60-90 day warning and charged a reasonable fee ($40-50 annual), most folks would pony up and they would still make tons of money.

Back