New Vintage Griswold passed the lead test

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Soaked her in eco friendly unscented oven cleaner for twelve hours. Scrubbed in scalding hot water, then rinsed in white vinegar water. Then hit with a well worn wire wheel on an angle grinder. Back into hot water and another vinegar rinse. The pan is small so placed the pan on the stove top in high heat. Placed a dab of flax oil on handle and when it started smoking hit the whole pan with a layer of oil and wiped it dry. I'll repeat this a couple more times then fry some bacon. It's a small skillet. Fun to bring it back to life.

After the wire wheel I tested 5 spots with a lead testing swab-- negative for lead :)

Last edited:
Very nice! I like the size of that one. You have a great collection Adams!

Awesome! Cast Iron is my passion,right behind cooking with wood/charcoal.:clap:

Awesome! Cast Iron is my passion,right behind cooking with wood/charcoal.:clap:

Cool. It is fun to bring one back to use, and I enjoy seeing others cast iron collection tips and photos too.

where did you get the lead test kit? My #7 shows up on Thursday and I need to do the same.

Great looking pan, nice work on the restore!

Is there lead in some cast iron cooking products?

Keep in mind these vintage skillets are 50-100 years old. Back in the depression and up thru the 80's folks would melt lead in cast iron to pour into bullet molds. I've known several of those folks. Granted most of them used gumbo pots or Dutch ovens, but if you watch the Goldrush shows you'll see cast iron being used for things other than cooking. A two swab kit can be purchased at Home Depot- Lowes- Internet etc fir 10$. I don't know if it's wrong or right but I hit the skillet with the swab after I use the wire brush. May be a false peace of mind, but I enjoy it. Sometimes all you can do, is all you can do.

Another caution I've been seeing lately is buying skillets where peanut oil was used for seasoning. I would think if peanut allergies were an issue for you, your friends and family you might check further into using.

I'm not sure what Lodge uses for their pre seasoned skillets and Dutch Ovens. They are an excellent product if a person desires new never used.

Last edited:
I have heard of grizwald pans from my father but this is the first one I have seen. I have several old stamped Steel cold handle fry pans. And my every day cast iron.

The bacon test. Slid around like wet ice. Winner. This is going to be a fun little dip, small fry skillet.

Last edited:
I have heard of grizwald pans from my father but this is the first one I have seen. I have several old stamped Steel cold handle fry pans. And my every day cast iron.

eBay. Look for skillets that say, sit flat- no cracks- and a high seller rating.
I say that, But- I bought a Wagner Ware Sydney O #3 from a first time seller. It was perfect

I've taken some great advice from the Bretheren as far as prep work and made my own protocol which is a mix of great advice. Bluedawg has a method that works great too.

Soak 12-24 hours in Eco friendly no scent oven cleaner
Scrub and rinse with hot hot vinegar water
Hit with wire wheel angle grinder
Lead test
Scrub and wash
Dry thoroughly with heat
Begin seasoning 3X
Cook some bacon
Amen

If I worried about all this bad cast iron cookware crap I would surely starve to death. What's next lead in charcoal grates? How about cows chewing on old lead pipes? Or lead in the paint on old barns? Jeeeeez!

If I worried about all this bad cast iron cookware crap I would surely starve to death. What's next lead in charcoal grates? How about cows chewing on old lead pipes? Or lead in the paint on old barns? Jeeeeez!

Not sure which runway your landing on here?? I have a niece with deadly peanut allergies. Not cool. Lead is not good for you and can cause long term health problems if ingested.

Seems prudent to me to check a 50-100 year old piece of equipment that you are cooking things you put into your body.

Honestly, I could care less how you handle your affairs, it's none of my business.

Peace

One of my old cast iron pots just has the word "Mexico" on the bottom. Can't remember where I got it. The thing has a thick black finish all over it, maybe if I clean it up I'll find more info on it.
You've got me wondering what all it has been used for Adams. :grin:

I just remembered where I got it. It could have been in one of my barns when I bought this place. Shoot, no telling what it was used for.... Vet use, medicine for cattle? :/

Last edited:
But just in case it was a Thunder Bucket- hit it with a brush :))

Back