• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoker Poll Results. What surprised you?

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I posted a poll on March 17, 2016 asking folks to select all of the smokers they currently own. I was hoping to get over 400 voters before posting the results one last time. Well as of now 410 Brethren have participated.

My question: Is there anything that surprised you about the results?

I think I am most surprised that gas grills came in second with almost 52% and that so many people own offsets. Interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thanks to all who participated.

Attachments

• final poll.jpg
    final poll.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 275
I thought bullet smokers would have been much higher than Kamado (just because of price).
I'm surprised how high offsets are on the list.

I don't think I'm so surprised by the gas grills... no matter how quickly I can get a lump fire started these days (under 20 minutes from ignition to ready-to-cook) my gasser is ready faster. But the gas grill isn't nearly as interesting to talk about here, and neither is the food that comes off it. I'm not shocked most of us have one even though we rarely talk about them, though. They're convenient and don't take much space.

If I am surprised about the gas grill position, it is that a higher number did not admit to owning one. All outdoor cooking is not BBQ or Smoking, and a gas grill is a handy tool.
Witness the emergence of the flat-top grills recently.
I was a little surprised that pellet cookers were under 10 percent. I would have guessed higher.

That Cabinet Smokers were not higher on the list, it seems that everyday someone is asking about a cabinet smoker.

I guess the combo toilet grill/beer cooler I saw posted some weeks ago cooler falls under 'other'.

Not a surprise, but the experience the brethren have as a whole across the span of all the types of cookers bodes well for anyone looking for advice. Our strength lies in its diversity.

Last edited:
My only surprise is the amount of gassers......Although I think they have a place in any outdoor kitchen.....
Not surprised the kettle is the most owed here. Everyone needs at least one kettle!

Andrew, I have no Kettle, lol! I think that'll probably stay the case I'm afraid. I have no Weber products. Shocking now that I think about that for a sec....

As for the poll, I wish there were a way to click on how many of each type we had. I have 3 Kamados, 2 pellet grills in addition to one PBC, one Gasser, one Electric Smoker. So there's 8 choices I could've accounted for.

Andrew, I have no Kettle, lol! I think that'll probably stay the case I'm afraid. I have no Weber products. Shocking now that I think about that for a sec....

As for the poll, I wish there were a way to click on how many of each type we had. I have 3 Kamados, 2 pellet grills in addition to one PBC, one Gasser, one Electric Smoker. So there's 8 choices I could've accounted for.

Eight cookers and not one of them a Weber. You may want to consider changing your screen name! :grin:

I was surprised to see the kamado as high as it was too based on the price though maybe that says something about the Acorn and Vision opening up the market. I was surprised that the griddle was as high as it was as well. There is a lot of interest in the recently but I wouldn't have necessarily expected this high an ownership level.

Would have guessed gasser would be a bit higher even in this crowd. On the pellet side, I suspect that the inclusion of pellet smoker and pellet grill might be distorting things a bit. I wasn't expecting a big percentage to own one but I'm not sure folks would consistently have decided which to check.

I was amazed at the number of kettles and gas grills. Seems many are grillers on this BBQ site

To me BBQ is the big three cooked on wood and coals. I never went to a BBQ joint to get a fatty or meatloaf. I grew up cooking low and slow big three on offset pits. Only used a kettle a couple of times for burgers and dog when camping.

I still have my trailer pit but amazingly I now own a weber kettle, a primo ceramic pit, a backyard custom built offset and a gasser. I am learning to grill stuff it's all new to me

This DANG forum is to blame for my addiction

Back