A Special Night To Remember - Prom 2016 Dinner Party

MisterChrister

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I had the honor and privilege to prepare a very special meal for some very special people yesterday. It was my daughter Hannah's junior prom, a day she has been dreaming about since she was 11 and had a secret crush on her now beau, Joe. The other couple is Hannah's friend Anna (Joe's sister) and Seth. I don't exaggerate when I say that these are amongst the finest young people of their generation; if the future of our world is in their hands, we have a brilliant hope. I don't only say this because Hannah is my daughter (although she is an EXQUISITE young lady), they are truly remarkable people! Other than some minimal prep at home (dry aging a 13# NY Strip loin for 6 weeks, and curing/smoking the lake trout fillets for apps), I got to prepare the meal in a beautiful kitchen that I was involved with building about 10 years ago when I was in that line of work. Joe & Anna's family are our friends, so it wound up being a dinner double date for us parents once the kids were off to the dance. Sooooo, without further ado.....

The lake trout for apps and the 2" thick strips after a 6 week dry age (I trimmed them further for appearance before cooking):
1460935522_zpsd8zs7wfc.jpg

1460935527_zpsvycrqxcm.jpg

1461528646_zpspwtwfrbz.jpg

STARTERS:
Fresh local mozzarella wheels, prosciutto di Parma, romas, and basil
1461528379_zpsmgbwi5uq.jpg

Bruschetta crostini
1461528388_zpsiojdqwsv.jpg

Smoked lake trout rillettes (credit to thirdeye's trout/salmon technique and Buccaneer for the smoked fish rillettes recipe)
1461528392_zpsfq5zztj7.jpg

Pain d'epi (bought this one folks, can't take credit here, although good bread is on my skills short list)
1461529894_zpsgb4jgdmg.jpg

SOUP/SALAD COURSE:

Fire roasted tomato bisque
1461528404_zpszl8tdnl0.jpg

Baby spinach salad with hot raspberry/bacon vinaigrette, walnuts, and feta
1461528400_zpsb7frxoo5.jpg

ENTREE:

6-week dry-aged thick cut Angus NY strips ala Oscar. I sous-vide held the steaks at 133 for two hours, then removed from bag, patted dry, applied EVOO and Oakridge Carne Crosta before searing. Then topped with asparagus, lump blue crab meat from the closest thing to a seafood monger available in Wisconsin, and Bearnaise sauce. Hasselback potatoes.
1461529889_zps0j3tigp8.jpg

1461528408_zpsgvsbwzif.jpg

Chef's plate
1461529898_zpslhmzm8yj.jpg

SWEET FINISH:

Couer ala creme with raspberry chambord coulis sauce w/ grand marnier. My wife rocked this, she's the mistress of sweet ;)
1461529882_zpsmbhf3ioz.jpg

Happy customers
1461528715_zpswxiyopno.jpg

A wonderful evening was had by all, and I'm ready for frozen pizza and takeout for a week or so! Thanks for looking Brethren & Sistren!

-Chris

That is awesome! Way to make the day a remembered one! I guess you will be on deck for next year!

Bet you're officially the coolest dad now Chris. Fine dining right there. Just excellent through and through. :thumb::thumb:

Could they actually dance after all that food?
It all looks restaurant Quality, great work Dad

Beautiful meal Chris!! Kudos to both you and your Mrs.. That's a memory your daughter will cherish forever.
Very nice!!! :-D

that's one killer meal....very very impressive every detail. just goes to show ya a daddy's love. good looking group of kids you should be proud. nice job dad!!!!

Back