BBQ Brethren Masters Cut #2 - Spareribs (Closes tomorrow night!)

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
bigabyte said:
The next cut we are going to master is...

Spareribs!
SpareRibs.jpg

Photo from SimplyMeats.com

For a definition of this specific cut, see here. Please, no Baby Backs, Loin Backs, or any form of Beef Ribs. You can trim or otherwise deal with your spares however you see fit for this contest!:thumb:

Please not that Bob's (Landarc's) ribs (shown below in this post) are being allowed in this contest because they were entered into the prior Sparerib contest that was basically cancelled and restarted with this thread.

So you think you have what it takes to be the Sparerib Master??? Well, PROVE IT!!!:twisted:

Below are the rules for this contest.

1. This contest is open from Tuesday 3/15 until the first Monday AFTER the 10th entry is submitted. Dishes must be cooked and photos submitted within this timeframe. The cutoff time to enter your photos is midnight Central US time on the final day.
2. You must cook the cut of meat using a charcoal and/or wood fired grill or smoker, or over an open wood fire.
3. Only one dish may be submitted per person.
4. You must submit at least one photo of your cut of meat in raw form, another one while it is on the cooker (note it does not still have to be in whole form while cooking), and at least one photo of your completed dish. You can submit other photos if you wish, but you must include these 3 to showcase the piece of meat, how you're cooking it, and the result.
5. Your dish must consist of Spareribs as a primary feature.
6. No sides are allowed. You may however dress your dish with other (edible) items to pull the dish together into one specific entree. For example, with a steak you could make a bed of salad greens, topped with sliced steak, and dressed with other foods. However, a steak with a baked potato and/or asparagus on the side is not allowed. The entree you create must stand on it's own.
7. You are allowed to touch up your photos for clarity, or to add the dish/item to a more interesting background if you like.
8. By posting your photos, you are granting consent for your photo to be reused for other BBQ Brethren related postings or materials.
9. Any joke photos, or photos of past creations you wish to show off must have a disclaimer stating that the photo is not intended to be included in the Vote thread.
10. If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, DO NOT COMPLAIN TO ME! Instead, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.
9. If I find an entry to have violated these simple rules, I reserve the right to disqualify that entry.
10. As at any neighborhood block party, the kids are present and part of the festivities, so please keep your posts family friendly.
12. The only time a team entry will be accepted is when the team entry is made by Brethren at a Brethren Bash, and the team name must also be submitted with the entry. Otherwise only individual entries will be accepted.

OK all you wannabe BBQ'ers, LET'S GET COOKING!!!:cool: There can be only one!:boxing: Do you have what it takes to be the Sparerib Master?

NEXT CUT: Tri-Tip Roast (will begin the day after after this category ends)
Bob's California Style 'Pig Honey' Ribs :-D
ribs-unprep.jpg

ribs-prepped.jpg

P3090635.jpg

ribdetail.jpg

ribscutsect.jpg

I am quite disappointed in the final shot, I have got to figure out how to photograph ribs correctly with my current camera. The eating however, was not a disappointment. The cooking thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
BBQ Brethren Masters Cut #2 - Spareribs (9 spots remaining)

Way to go Landarc! Get this ball rolling! I had no idea you could put my posts inside of yours like that before I even made them.

Last edited:
What the heck? This really confused me at first, was sitting here thinking, I gotta get off this forum, I am now making posts that I have no memory of. Actually, my first thought was 'fark! someone has made and entered my recipe for the new throwdown before I did, how the heck did that happen?' Time warps, worm holes, prescient posts, where is a marginally employed physicist when you need one.

Anyone wishing to enter this contest, please post your photo's in THIS thread and please read the rules in the opening post (the part by bigabyte). At this point, I have closed the old thread to avoid any further confusion about where to post.

I moved landarc's original post to this thread since his entry was allowed to carry over to the new contest. The software on the forum shows posts in chronological order, so there is no choice but to have landarc's post show as the first in this thread. That is why I added the rules and stuff in his post.

If you need any more confusion, please let me know and I will do my best to confuse you even more.

Anyone wishing to enter this contest, please post your photo's in THIS thread and please read the rules in the opening post (the part by bigabyte). At this point, I have closed the old thread to avoid any further confusion about where to post.

I moved landarc's original post to this thread since his entry was allowed to carry over to the new contest. The software on the forum shows posts in chronological order, so there is no choice but to have landarc's post show as the first in this thread. That is why I added the rules and stuff in his post.

If you need any more confusion, please let me know and I will do my best to confuse you even more.

Oh dear, it has become a habit, I didn't even know I had

OK, OK, I whine and here I am back for more .....
These spares were on sale at Raley's so I just couldn't resist. I just love a good deal! Particularly when it comes to something I can eat.

Notabadprice.jpg

Here they are cutup St. Louis Style with the membrane removed
Trimmedrackwithtips.jpg

Rubbed with Butt Rub and Simply Marvelous Cherry
Rubbedwithrubsandsauce.jpg

On the BGE at 275 with his friends
Rubbedonthegrillwithrelatives.jpg

Foiled at 2 hours 45 mins with 1-1/2oz of Pineapple juice then pulled 20 minutes later
Finishedrack.jpg

Ready to eat.......well, I did already try one. Please use this pic
sliced.jpg

Summary:
I thought they were great, so did my eldest son. My wife, who doesn't like anything spicey said they were too hot. It is true, that the Butt Rub has a pretty powerful flavor with Chipotle Powder in it. So next time, no spicey if I want peace at home!

Thanks for looking

Very nice Marty! I figured you couldn't resist entering! I think the choice for spicy was just a way ensure more food for you & your son. :heh:

Nice looking ribs Marty!

It looks like my plan to sort out the confusion may have worked.

...I think. Heck, I'm really not sure if I know or not.

What were we talking about again?:confused:

Nice looking ribs Marty!

It looks like my plan to sort out the confusion may have worked.

...I think. Heck, I'm really not sure if I know or not.

What were we talking about again?:confused:

Welcome to my world! Now why did I get on the computer in the first place???

Messed up and tried to post in the old thread, which is good because I got to make more. Picked up some spares before work.
DSC01551.jpg

Trimmed up and dusted with Punch Ya Daddy rib rub, which was a gift from a friend but has become a rub I like. You just have to go light with it or ribs will be too salty. On the UDS. Had to pick up an oven thermo because I left my Maverick at home. :doh:
DSC01555.jpg

Foiled after 2.5 hours.
DSC01556.jpg

Out of the foil after just over an hour, and back in the heat for 45 minutes.
DSC01557.jpg

Turned out just the way I like them. The best part was that I was able to feed my CPA brother who eats a can of tuna and an apple everyday for lunch and hasn't seen the sun in 3 months.
Please use this picture.
DSC01558.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Okay, we are up to three entries now, if only Mr. Big would update the title. :becky: He must be in meetings.

YEAH!!!!! GO INDIANA BRETHREN BBQ!!!!
:clap2::clap2::clap2:

There really does need to be more of us here. Nice ribs!!!!

Marty, yours look quite yumilicious as well......but you're another one of those "left coasters".:becky::rolleyes::laugh:

Nice entries all!!!
I may jump in on this if it's not full by the weekend.

Oh CRAP! I forgot to take pics of the raw meat.:doh::doh::doh: I cut some St. Louis spares and they're on the Bandit right now but I can't enter them.
Fark!:mad2:

Back