First Attempt at Tri Tip

kevrol

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Have been wanting to try but haven’t stumbled upon one. Finally went looking today. Definitely learned a few things by this cook and look forward to doing it again. Love that you can do this and feed a family of 4 in under 3 hrs.
666b463774cc18975dc1cbce7cc31ee5.jpg

3f12a8687708335e90bd365c7ce8304b.jpg

86133461e06a0c28acf6f5d8d6db56e3.jpg

12804af308fb5123ca584d506aa689f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yumyum. My favorite cut of beef a great value. Here’s me thinking you nailed it on your first attempt!

The doneness on that is perfect. :thumb: Looking at the shape, I think you have a 'ball-tip' roast, which is the next door neighbor to the tri-tip. Both are bottom sirloin roasts and very similar in flavor. A ball-tip is round and a tri-tip is curved somewhat, some say it has a shrimp-like shape. Was this from a butcher shop or packaged from a producer?

The doneness on that is perfect. :thumb: Looking at the shape, I think you have a 'ball-tip' roast, which is the next door neighbor to the tri-tip. Both are bottom sirloin roasts and very similar in flavor. A ball-tip is round and a tri-tip is curved somewhat, some say it has a shrimp-like shape. Was this from a butcher shop or packaged from a producer?

I wondered cause the shape was different. Was from Whole Foods on east coast.

I've had several butchers try to sell me that exact cut of meat. I had to point out to them that it was not a Tri-tip, and refused to purchase. Cutting a hunk of beef into the shape of a triangle does not make it a Tri-tip lol. It still looks very good though, I'd hit it.

Looks great and you nailed it! What thirdeye said.

I wondered cause the shape was different. Was from Whole Foods on east coast.

I've had several butchers try to sell me that exact cut of meat. I had to point out to them that it was not a Tri-tip, and refused to purchase. Cutting a hunk of beef into the shape of a triangle does not make it a Tri-tip lol. It still looks very good though, I'd hit it.

Well, Whole Foods might get primal cuts and if so it's easily confused. I mean both roasts share a fat seam, they are that close to each other. BOTTOM SIRLOIN ROASTS. The narrative mentions 'white lines' in the photos, but they have been changed to blue.

Anyways, it looks delicious and you did a great job cooking it.

Call it what ya want just call me the next ya cook it!

Not a tri tip, but looks great regardless.

East coast butchers don’t know anything about tri tips sadly.

I find a bunch of triangular cuts of meat labeled as tri tip, but very few actual tri tips out here.

Regardless of the cut (which kinda stinks) you pulled off a great cook.

Yup, had butchers that didn't know what plate ribs were either.

Back