Stupid question..... Am I a Pitmaster?

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Guess its the day for crazy questions. What requirements is there to finally call your self a pitmaster? I've been turning some good Q out lately and I was called a pit master a few days ago........

That made me wonder what exactly makes you a pitmaster? Opinions?

Honestly I don't even know what a Pit master is. I just hear the name thrown around quite often as the person who cooks BBQ!

I googled " What is a Pitmaster " and the answers were all over the place, however they had one thing in common. Must turn out consistently good BBQ no matter what meat is being used.

A pit master is one who showers regularly and uses deodorant. :biggrin1:

Butt seriously, a pit master is "The Master of Their Pit". They should know their pit inside and out, and how to pump out good Q consistently.

I think you need to have to have a fancy bowling type of shirt (but for BBQ) and have your name on it and a BBQ logo of some type on it.

Guess its the day for crazy questions. What requirements is there to finally call your self a pitmaster? I've been turning some good Q out lately and I was called a pit master a few days ago........

That made me wonder what exactly makes you a pitmaster? Opinions?

Honestly I don't even know what a Pit master is. I just hear the name thrown around quite often as the person who cooks BBQ!
Works for me.
My goal is to be called a "good cook".

My friends call me one. I don't consider myself one. I'm just a cook trying to perfect my craft.

So this is the reason why I asked this question. What would take to be able to call yourself a pit master?

I googled " What is a Pitmaster " and the answers were all over the place, however they had one thing in common. Must turn out consistently good BBQ no matter what meat is being used.

So is it knowledge of YOUR pit? or knowledge of being able to take any pit and cook a variety of stuff consistently?

If the words "Pit Master" require a lot of skill I guess I can say I'm not a pit master. But I can go outside fire my offset up and cook a variety of things with no trouble. Doesn't mean there won't be hick ups or I won't learn anything from the cook though. Every cook seems to be different in my case.

Maybe I could just start going around considering myself a pit master! LOL

I think you need to have to have a fancy bowling type of shirt (but for BBQ) and have your name on it and a BBQ logo of some type on it.

LOL, Well Its time to buy some shirts! I'm gonna be the guy that has to wear his "Pitmaster" shirt every time he cooks!

A pit master is one who showers regularly and uses deodorant. :biggrin1:

Butt seriously, a pit master is "The Master of Their Pit". They should know their pit inside and out, and how to pump out good Q consistently.

Works for me.
My goal is to be called a "good cook".

I've reached the goal of "good cook" ages ago. In my opinion anyways. I can cook anything if I wanted to. I can create dishes, I can recreate any dish through recipes. Cooking is what I love to do. I don't share many non q meals here because this is a site for BBQ.

But Now I want to become a "pit master". I have fell head over heals in love with this hobby! Sometimes its annoying, sometimes things don't go your way. But I think I'm with the few who said a pit master is a person that knows the ins and outs of their own pits and can produce good Q regularly. I have some work to do, but I'm getting there.

People have called me a Pitmaster, but for some reason they mispronounce it all the time and it comes out "Hey you idiot! Why is that meat on fire and why aren't you wearing pants?!?!". Strange..........:crazy:

Yeah I know the feeling. I try not to get caught with no pants on though!

Perhaps you can settle for "Backyard Pitmaster".

If you are the main operator of your pit, I guess that would make you a pitmaster. It's just a title, it doesn't mean you've actually accomplished anything.

Perhaps you can settle for "Backyard Pitmaster".

If you are the main operator of your pit, I guess that would make you a pitmaster. It's just a title, it doesn't mean you've actually accomplished anything.

Well if i was cooking for the first time I would hate for someone to call me a pit master, no matter how good the food turned out. That would not be the "title" to give someone who is starting to learn making BBQ.

But this now I've been thinking. i'll settle for the Backyard Pitmaster title! I'm designing my own shirt now thanks to Fwismoker LOL

So this is the reason why I asked this question. What would take to be able to call yourself a pit master?

I know a lot of competition bbq teams use Pitmaster and Head Cook as synonyms.

As I think about it more, I believe it is someone that knows their pit/cooker and can consistently put out great bbq AND are at the point most bbq cooks would go to them for advice and wisdom about cooking all sorts of food on their pit/cooker.

do u want to be called a pitmaster?

do you own your own pit?

do u turn out consistently good foods coming out of that pit.

do your friends and family worship the wood you cook with?

then youre a pitmaster.

**Putting on flameproff suit** *unless you only cook with a computer controlled pellet cooker.. then youre a backyard chef.

:behindsofa::fencing:

Back