Steak Burrito cut used

Daggs

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Thanks to highergrOund I'm now the owner of a new 36" griddle.

We love burritos, especially from authentic restaurants that look like they were a laundry mat the week before. Unfortunately the language barrier keeps me from finding out what cut of steak they cube for steak tacos and burritos. I'm sure someone here can help so I can break in this new blackstone!
Thanks in advance.

Usually it is skirt steak, from the short plate. In spanish it is arrachera if that helps with a local carniceria. This is typically pounded out thin and flat and of course more tender.

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/recipes/puebla/kgraber0108.jpg

To make this more confusing, "falda" translates as skirt, but that actual cut is what we call flank steak.

Last edited:
Most of the Mexican markets around here are using skirt, and offer the meat pre-marinated, usually the meat seasoned with a seasoning type salt, a bit of orange juice, and cilantro & onions.

Costco usually has awesome USDA Choice skirt that sometimes even is approaching USDA Prime. For example:

IMG_0583.jpg

Hard to beat meat like this for tacos and burritos.

Wow moose. That's some good looking skirt.

The Latin market in my area runs all the skirt through the tenderizer before marinating or selling. I have to tell them to leave it whole, and hope they understand what I'm saying. It's actually pretty amazing to watch them somehow butterfly an already super thin piece of meat so they can run it through the tenderizer.

Wow moose. That's some good looking skirt.

The Latin market in my area runs all the skirt through the tenderizer before marinating or selling. I have to tell them to leave it whole, and hope they understand what I'm saying. It's actually pretty amazing to watch them somehow butterfly an already super thin piece of meat so they can run it through the tenderizer.

Tony, I used to buy the meat from local Mexican markets, but when I found such great skirt at Costco, haven't looked back. I see there's one in Fort Wayne...

Tony, I used to buy the meat from local Mexican markets, but when I found such great skirt at Costco, haven't looked back. I see there's one in Fort Wayne...

Oh yeah, my bank account is well aware of the Costco. The only skirt I've ever seen at mine was marinated vac sealed stuff. The marinade is so dark, I can't even tell what the meat looks like.

I have noticed like you said though that alot of their meat labeled choice borders on prime. I got New York strips that I couldn't believe were marked as choice.

My local Costco's are not selling "skirt" steak any longer. I asked the butcher about it and he said they were selling "flap" steak instead and that it was effectively the same thing. Don't know if that is right, but would be curious for a butcher to chime in.

If it is cubed beef, it could also be chuck or sirloin. Those are fantastic for burritos and tacos. They take marinade very well. The key to both of these cuts is to not overcook them as they get tough. Some chuck or sirloin cooked to Med or less is awesome for tacos.
Some good translations here:
http://theglobalfork.blogspot.com/2012/10/meat-in-mexico-beef.html

Bob

All good info and appreciated!
I'm talking to my butcher later this week about the side I ordered so I'm hoping to get a good amount for burritos!

My local Costco's are not selling "skirt" steak any longer. I asked the butcher about it and he said they were selling "flap" steak instead and that it was effectively the same thing. Don't know if that is right, but would be curious for a butcher to chime in.

different cuts... I think I prefer flap... they do cook similarly but I think flap is richer

I use what Krogers puts in the "marked down" area. It's going to be sliced thin or chopped, with a marinade, spices, or sauce, wrapped in a tortilla with a bunch of other things, anyway, why obsess about it.

My local stater Bros sells flap meat... have not seen skirt in awhile, also some use flank steak for tacos/fajitas

I use skirt mostly but flank will work too. For tacos and burritos I marinade them first.

Flank is from the abdomen, skirt is from the diaphragm area and flap meat is off the bottom sirloin. They all look similar and are great steaks to marinate.also all are very lean cuts and get mislabeled and hard to tell thedifference

Flap and skirt steak are the same according to my Costco butcher.
wrong x 3..
BUT -
It's amazing how throwaway cuts years ago, like skirt,
have become popular, and thus more $$.
Pretty soon, Chicken Neck will be all the rage.

(well, it IS, with East Coasters Blue crabbing.)

Back