• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Maintaining Temp on A Stumps "Baby"

Dbigdog

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Is there anyone that has a Stumps "Baby" vertical smoker that is having problems getting it up to temp, and maintaining the temp?

Not to mention the ever ending bridging problem, that isn't going to go away.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't have a Stumps, but I do have a Southern Q Gravity fed smoker. Mine is designed specifically to be used with a fan controller like a BBQ Guru. Is it the same with the Stumps?

What I do with mine is fill the chute and light a Weber starter cube in the ash pan. I leave the top of the chute and the firebox door open until the starter cube goes out. After that I close both and turn on the guru fan with the guru set to my cook temp. Mine is up to temp in about 30 minutes.

What kind of charcoal are you using? I haven't had any bridging issues in the Southern Q using Stubbs hardwood briquettes.

Ron,

I also use the BBQ Guru DX-2.....and I use kingsford, blue bag charcoal.

What are you using for fuel. How long does it take to get to temp? Have you checked the grate at bottom of shut fir debris? Are you packing the charcoal in the chute? The charcoal needs to be added slowly.

Eric

Never had bridging with Briqs before. Try using Stubbs. Also check your grates both of them might be plugged up with ash. The one above the charcoal grate will get plugged up with ash. Especially if your using blue bag.

I have a baby and never had an issue getting to temp or bridging. I use a guru and I use royal oak chef select. Make sure there isn't any ash blocking the vent going into the smoker. It also helps to push the charcoal down every few hours to keep it moving.

How many times have you used it? Where do you place the thermo for the guru? What size fan do you have?

on the bridging make sure you do not smash the lid down on the charcoal , makes sure there is room between the lid and charcoal .

Try getting more coal lit in the beginning. As far as bridging is concerned make sure to do what BBQ Freak said / never try and pack the charcoal in. Stumps are made to be ran off briqs , normally the only time you experience bridging is when your running lump without breaking the larger pieces up. I've owned a handful of Stumps and other gravity fed smokers and the only way I could see briqs causing a bridge is if you filled it up and forced the lid down. When filling be sure to leave 3-4 inches from the top.

DBigDog,
Have been running a Stumps XL Baby for a couple years,

I use Royal Oak Lump, but cut the bigger pieces into smaller ones,
I also use a 3 foot steel rod to lightly tap the lump while in the chute, that helps it drop if it bridges.
Be careful to not push it down to hard and plug the chute.

I also use a guru with pit viper fan, attaching the alligator clip for the temperature probe to the top grate.
Seams to work well, with accurate results

Another tip,
In the fire box, on top of the grate where the lump burns,
I take that steel rod and poke the lump, cleaning out the ash from the prior cook, before lighting. Also helps when lit to drop some lump on the wood to,speed up the smoke.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
When I need to get my Baby up to temp quicker I leave the firebox open slightly, I don't completely unhook the latch, but leave it hooked and then open the door. The only bridging problem I have had is using lump, but like Frisbey said just break it up into smaller pieces.

I don't have a Stumps, but I do have a Southern Q Gravity fed smoker. Mine is designed specifically to be used with a fan controller like a BBQ Guru. Is it the same with the Stumps?

What I do with mine is fill the chute and light a Weber starter cube in the ash pan. I leave the top of the chute and the firebox door open until the starter cube goes out. After that I close both and turn on the guru fan with the guru set to my cook temp. Mine is up to temp in about 30 minutes.

What kind of charcoal are you using? I haven't had any bridging issues in the Southern Q using Stubbs hardwood briquettes.
Same here, well except i have an Assassin 28, and use Royal Oak Ridge Briqs:D

I would bet you have ash build up restricting your flow since you are using blue bag.

Also, I am not sure how new you are to the guru but there is a damper slider built into the fan, you may have it restricted down too far or shut by accident.

The bridging problem is interesting since you are using briquettes. Is your chute lid shutting tightly?

Back