Question on BBQ Sauce Compnents

Teamfour

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I am working on a recipe for a BBQ sauce. One of the components is butter. Is it feasible to use real butter in a sauce that will be bottled for non-refrigerated storage?

Another component is Worcestershire sauce. For a copacker, would I need to break the Worcestershire down to its components, or would they use a commercial Worcestershire?

You would have to contact the packer you wish to use. They in turn will tell you how they will formulate the product. Keep in mind they are not willing to pay someone to make an ingredient that they can duplicate themselves..

My experience has been, having helped or been involved in a few products, is that most co-packers will not recreate Worcestershire sauce, but, they will use a commercial brand, not the store brand. For things such as butter, a lot depends on the market you are looking at. For higher price points, butter can and is often used, but, shelf stable and lower price point, you are likely going to be pointed to flavorings and oils in place of butter.

I am working on a recipe for a BBQ sauce. One of the components is butter. Is it feasible to use real butter in a sauce that will be bottled for non-refrigerated storage?

Another component is Worcestershire sauce. For a copacker, would I need to break the Worcestershire down to its components, or would they use a commercial Worcestershire?
I agree with the previous posts. Most co-packers will use a commercial Worcestershire sauce.

The co-packers I used would not do butter, so just ask them. There are a lot of butter 'flavor' substitutes and depending on your price point a couple of them are actually pretty decent.

Butter unfortunately is not shelf stable however Whirl and substitutes are. May want to try some out and see how it supports the flavas you are going for.

Back