Air intake vs outflow formula on Ugly Drums

garthrichards

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post to the forums. I have appreciated many of the topics as I built my first Ugly Drum last year. I started out with the hook & cook style with meat hanging rods, tractor disc for the coals, etc. I have now ventured into the other style that uses a charcoal basket and no rods but just racks to put the meat on. I am finding that the charcoal lasts much longer this way.

Simple question and please feel free to refer me to a previous thread. How much air intake vs outflow is optimal?. Currently I have 3-3/4" holes on the bottom of the drum and have 8-3/4" holes in the lid. What is the most common formula out there? Twice as much outflow as intake or there about? I realize that I can reduce or increase air intake as the cook goes on by either closing off or opening up air intake. Thanks.

That's about the normal but I still like more intake...after all you can always close it off when not needed.

That really depends on what YOU want to do with your drum. Max temp of 425 lets say. You should be fine, but I'm guessing as my drums have alot more intake and exhaust than what your explaining. But I also sear meat and do pizza's in the 700 + deg range.

Back