Advise on using Horizon classic offset smoker

ekim77

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I'm new here and just upgraded to a horizon smoker from a smoke hollow gas smoker. Just finished the seasoning on the horizon and I'm looking for any tricks or tips on using this beauty. Only been smoking 18 months so still learning from my mistakes. Thanks for any info.

Welcome to the stick side!
Burn wood in your pit.
Do not burn wood and sleep at the same time.
Did you get a convection plate?
Have fun.

Later,
Doug

Wow, that's quite a jump- congratulations!

I'm still a novice, but...

As suggested, a convection plate comes in handy to help even-out temps across the cooking grate. You can make or buy one.

Orienting the firebox to the wind helps in maintaining a consistent fire.

Consistency in stick size is a good idea, too.

I have no scientific proof (other than my taste buds), but I swear the bbq that comes off my offset tastes better than from any other cooker I have. :razz:

Good luck and have fun. :thumb:

I found some cherry wood. Can I use oak as heat and cherry for taste? I have the convection plate. Without it a huge temp difference. I also have the charcoal basket. Any problems with using charcoal and wood?

Congrats. What size cooker did you get ? I have the 24" X 48" Marshall. Cooks great. Love the sliding convection plate. Slid all the way to the firebox side, temps are pretty much even across the pit. Pull it away from the firebox and you can get the firebox side really hot for steaks, burgers, etc. I think you'll enjoy cooking on it.

I have the 20" classic. Lots of places have ash. Any good to smoke with? Read good and bad things. Any opinion?

Make sure your wood is well seasoned. When you knock 2 sticks together it should remind you of clicking 2 baseball bats together. A dull thud is not good.

Start your fire with some well lit charcoal and add a couple of sticks on that. Keep the exhaust fully open when cooking and control the fire with the intake damper. Preheat your sticks on top of the firebox and expect to feed the fire every 30-45 minutes. Don't try to cook too low on a stick burner. I'd expect it to like to cook about 250-275°.

I have the 20" classic. Lots of places have ash. Any good to smoke with? Read good and bad things. Any opinion?

Never used ash. I like to run mostly Oak but also use Mesquite now and again and occasionally pecan. I like to mix it up. I use a chimney of charcoal and 2-3 medium size splits to get the fire started then run wood rest of the way, adding a split or two (depending on size, I use wood I buy from Academy) every hour or so.

Back