Discussion Thread -> "Meat and Potatoes!!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Shagdog

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Our new TD category is..."Meat and Potatoes!"

picture.php

This was caseydog's winning entry in the 2013 TD "Candied or Glazed"

As chosen by silverfinger for winning the "Four Ingredient Challenge!" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

silverfinger said:
Meat and Potatoes

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 11/6 through the entry submission deadline of 12pm (NOON), Central US Time on Monday 11/16/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. (NOON) Central US Time on Monday 11/16/15

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like ice cream (official entry)

Well as noted in the off topic thread poultry can be considered nonmeat. I dare to push the boundaries and enter chicken even in the face of a dilly bar. Besides i didn't have any dessert. For the potatoes i went with tots. The same way that chicken could be considered not meat tots could be considered nontaters.

Chicken wings and tots

For the sauce choices i went with buffalo and Asian.

The Buffalo was just 50/50 sirracha and butter. The asian was actually an attempt at wolfe pits huli sauce recipe. I didn't have the exact ingredients nor do i know what it was supposed to taste like. I mixed oj, soy sauce, catsup, brown sugar and 5 spice powder (real recipe calls for pineapple juice and ginger).

I slathered the wings with a seasoned mayo and cooked over direct heat.
Heres some action shots

Time to spin the wings. While it dirties up more dishes spinnning them with sauce in a bowl in my fav way to prepare them.

Entry pic

I like my ice cream dipped in chocolate but no nuts please.

Here's my entry for the meat and potatoes throwdown.

Just a simple Delmonico rubbed with Oakridge Carne Crosta rub, grilled carrots, asparagus and potatoes with lemon and thyme.

The playas.

20151106_165909_zpspwnzrsz5.jpg

No action shots because I was running two grills at once and was alone for the cook. If anyone is interested, the carrots were par boiled for about 6 minutes then chilled under cold water for about 20 seconds, then cooked over coals for about 5 minutes.

The potatoes were cut in half, drizzled with the juice of 1 lemon, a teaspoon of fresh minced thyme and 1 sliced green onion. I made a packet out of HD foil, wrapped them in that and cooked over coals for 30 minutes turning every 10 minutes.

Entry pic.

20151106_183224_zpssmqlkqqh.jpg

This is my official entry for the Meat and Potatoes throwdown.

I made New York Strips with Tequila-Chipotle Butter Sauce and Loaded Smashed Potatoes

For the butter, take unsalted butter, parsley, banana pepper, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, tequila, and brown sugar and puree them in a blender. Roll it up in some plastic wrap and put it in the freezer.

For the loaded smashed potatoes, I cooked an entire pack of bacon (ended up not needing that much, so I just ate the extra bacon while I was grilling the steaks). Then sliced and boiled 12 small red potatoes. Once ready, smash the potatoes and top with crumbled bacon, fried onions, and cheese. Throw it in the oven for about 5 more minutes to melt the cheese. Add a little sour cream and chives on top.

Use this picture for my official entry photo.

My official entry for the "Meat & Potatoes" TD

Here is my official entry for the "Meat & Potatoes" TD...

I had a lot of fun with this cook. Ran out of charcoal to grill on my spiral grill like I usually do, so I just threw the grill on top of the basket in my firebox. Prepping the potatoes was also a new thing for me. So all in all, I learned a lot from doing this TD!

Check out the whole cook thread HERE

And here's the moneyshot for my entry:

Woodfire-grilled NY Strip and Hasselback Potatoes

xRs8C2kh.jpg

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Back