Advice: Reheating Smoked Tri-Tips for serving

pne123

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am smoking 3 tri-tips for Christmas eve dinner. I have done several and they are wonderful but I want to do them in advance. What is the best way to reheat them? I was thinking of leaving them whole. Slicing them when cold. My mom has one of those buffet serving crock pot that heats food or you can add water to steam. Was think of doing that and adding the water so the meat stays moist. Any better suggestions on reheating the tri-tip?

I just cooked 8 tri-tips this past weekend.

We had 2 left over. I left them whole.

I reheated in a pan covered with foil and added a can of beef broth. Put in an over at 275* for about an hour. Worked out great.

Pete

sous vide...or a modified version thereof.

vacuum seal the cooked tri-tip (which I assume you are finishing to a very rare condition) and store in fridge until day of.

let sit out for about an hour and then immerse them in water not more than 120F - weighted if necessary to ensure all surfaces of the bag are in contact with water. Allow several hours for this re-heating to occur - but no worries, because you are controlling the heat the temp will not climb above the setting you have for the water bath.

This way you are not "boiling" them at 212F + ---- you are using a controlled water bath set at the temp you desire the finished meat to achieve and by placing the sealed package of smoked meat in the water bath you will be able to raise to the temp you want. 120+F would be rare, 130+F med rare, etc.

First off the HD requirements for reheating cooked foods are 165F internal temp. So at any less temp you are techincally taking a chance.

With that out fo the way Tri-tip IMHO is best served rare. That means any safe reheating will cook it from rare to med well. Now if that's OK then your crock pot method is just fine. With enough liquid and I'd also add some beef broth you can reheat fine and it will make fine Italian beef sammies.

Oven foil and broth would also work great. I don't think I'd try to put in 120F water for an extended period.

I am smoking 3 tri-tips for Christmas eve dinner. I have done several and they are wonderful but I want to do them in advance. What is the best way to reheat them? I was thinking of leaving them whole. Slicing them when cold. My mom has one of those buffet serving crock pot that heats food or you can add water to steam. Was think of doing that and adding the water so the meat stays moist. Any better suggestions on reheating the tri-tip?

Slice cold, and add some stock or broth in the chafing pan. If you can, use a tight fitting lid or foil the chafer until serving.

Back