1st spatchcock chicken

topsideup

Reaction score
I cooked my 1st spatchcock chicken tonight and they were great. I have been cooking beer can chickens for several years, ( I have about 6 holders) but today's cook may have retired the old holders. The general concensus was it was the best chicken ever. I actually cooked 2 chickens, 1 for the family and gave 1 away. The feedback from both was the spatchcock was the winner ,hands down. Definitely going to do it again !!:-D:-D

What procedure did you use? Rub?, Sauce?, Brine? Pit Temp? Charcoal Only, Charcoal with wood? I am still searching for the best way to cook chicken and like to try out every new method someone will share with me.

I cooked my 1st spatchcock chicken tonight and they were great. I have been cooking beer can chickens for several years, ( I have about 6 holders) but today's cook may have retired the old holders. The general concensus was it was the best chicken ever. I actually cooked 2 chickens, 1 for the family and gave 1 away. The feedback from both was the spatchcock was the winner ,hands down. Definitely going to do it again !!:-D:-D

Excellent! It seems that we both lost our spatchcock cherries today :)

Actually I had my virginity taken by a large spatchcock as well.And loved it. Love those beer cans to though.

brickie

Always been a fan of the beer can birds, but all this talk about spatchcooking them sure has me ready to give it a shot.

I alternate from my beer can holders low and slow on my smoker to the spatchcock at 350 for 1 1/2 hours. Both are excellent, Spatchcocking is nice because you can get the rub more evenly on the inside of the bird and I can eat dinner on a weeknight before 9pm :)

I also like the spatchcock method (after being pursuaded by the kind folks here on BBQ-Bros. Very even coocking. I like an initial rub of Worchestershire and molasses. Then sprinkle with a dry rub. Then to the fridge on racks. I have a small clip on fan that I put in the fridge also. Three days of drying.

Skin comes out crispy. I was amazed. Like Peking Duck I think

Another accidental wonderment: I place small oiled and salted potatoes under the chicken when cooking. Some of the fat falls on the baking potatoes and man! is that ever tasty!

I have a rack system on the BGE to I can tier the food.

Back