KCBS Score - Judges' Scorecard is live

I have the same issue from Huntsville scores for both pro & backyard and only judged pro.

Yeah I saw some impossible scores that I knew were inaccurate.
Showed me giving a 1 in appearance . Which never happened .
Guess it is all hand entered so mistakes happen

Yeah I saw some impossible scores that I knew were inaccurate.
Showed me giving a 1 in appearance . Which never happened .
Guess it is all hand entered so mistakes happen

I told you not to boil your ribs, but did you listen to me? Noooooooooo...

2_zpstbmxueji.jpg

I wish to thank KCBS for making my scores available to me. Has been a long time coming. Have downloaded and analyzed them. It told me what I wanted to know. I am a happy camper.

Looking forward to being seated by my Running Table Average !

I wish to thank KCBS for making my scores available to me. Has been a long time coming. Have downloaded and analyzed them. It told me what I wanted to know. I am a happy camper.

Looking forward to being seated by my Running Table Average !

So what did you learn? You scored lower than others at your table so now you must score higher to match them? Too high, so score lower?
Why would you not just score each entry as presented to you per KCBS training and procedures and not worry about the rest of the table.
What the others at your table are doing must not impact your scores at all.

Or were you just being sourcastic???
Ed

So what did you learn? You scored lower than others at your table so now you must score higher to match them? Too high, so score lower?

Why would you not just score each entry as presented to you per KCBS training and procedures and not worry about the rest of the table...
Ed

Ed, for me, it lets me know that I am not some outlier. I'd hate to find that I was 2 points lower than everyone else. This would tell me that I have a problem, and that I need to recalibrate my palate or quit judging. But then I take judging seriously. I'm not there for free grub.

I started asking for my scores Saturday, April 6th, 2013. Glad to finally see them. Simple as that.

Why would you not just score each entry as presented to you per KCBS training and procedures and not worry about the rest of the table.

Ed

It's just amazing that people think that data is a bad thing.

This data is just data. It tells you however if you are actually doing your job. If you are an angel judge or a tod judge you are affecting the integrity of the field. THis has nothing to do with KCBS training.....

I still think the person deciding who gets to judge should be provided with this information.

Ed

Why in the hell does it matter to you Ed, your just a single judge. Keep doing your job and it will be okay.:doh:

For the life of me, I can't figure out why a judge would care whether he or she is seated by scoring average, experience, randomly, or by height. Except for possibly not getting to sit next to a buddy (or having to sit next to your arch-enemy) for two hours, what difference does it make? Sure doesn't matter to me when I judge.

The issue of why it was only up briefly was brought up at an event this weekend in DC. THe answer that was given was that the scores were somehow out of sync. So I don't know if what was seen was even accurate.

I know I had some that I knew were wrong..

Stay tuned

The issue of why it was only up briefly was brought up at an event this weekend in DC. THe answer that was given was that the scores were somehow out of sync....

Ancillary categories that used the same table numbers were being factored into the KCBS average scores, for one thing. I believe that is being corrected.

I agree 100%. It is no different than looking at a person's résumé before you hire them for a job.
So the result will be some judges will never get selected.
We can debate that.
Will organizers favor high scorers so as to bolster the attitude and participation of teams ? Don't know.

By leveling scores there is no control in judging to standard.

I agree with h the observation that it is becoming a 7,8,9. Scoring system.
This will further accelerate that. Why do we have 8 possible scores?
Have heard many judges say they rarely give below a 7 as a 7 will kick entry out of running anyway.
I think it will debase th comment card system by intimidating judges giving lower scores.
So data is good, the uses and results of that Use......unpredictable.
I would be highly opposed to the judge scoring being given to organizers
It in a way lets the contestants represented by the organizers select the judges.
It is the contestants who pay the organizers. So guess who will be heard.
Let the flames begin

You all can rest assured that nothing is going to change (good or bad) as KCBS through it's Executive leadership has no desire or interest in changing anything in the current judging system.

Yes there are a lot of 7,8 and 9 scores. There are also a lot of entries that are extremely similar. Maybe all those cooking classes are a factor. They are 1) raising the overall quality and 2) making the entries more alike. Of course the scores are going to be clustered at 7,8,9. Believe me when I get an entry that deserves a 4, I write down a 4, with a comment card of course.

Last edited:
Yes there are a lot of 7,8 and 9 scores. There are also a lot of entries that are extremely similar. Maybe all those cooking classes are a factor. They are 1) raising the overall quality and 2) making the entries more alike. Of course the scores are going to be clustered at 7,8,9. Believe me when I get an entry that deserves a 4, I write down a 4, with a comment card of course.

OH!! GASP!!! you don't factor in the cost to compete and just give a 7 as that will put the team out of the running?? You know '7' is the lowest score you are suppose to give :icon_smile_tongue:

OH!! GASP!!! you don't factor in the cost to compete and just give a 7 as that will put the team out of the running?? You know '7' is the lowest score you are suppose to give :icon_smile_tongue:

There ya go.. If most of the entries are similar (particularly chicken)doesn't that become average ? and therefore become a 6 ?? Which is never given to any half decent entry..

Back