New to 100% wood cooking

Badgerjacob

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I run an offset stick-burner and at times I get a small taste of creosote after I add wood. Does anyone out there build two fires and shovel hot coals into their smoker? I tried this for the first time over the weekend and I would have to say that my chicken came out absolutely perfect. Any other tricks or advise on adding fuel when cooking with 100% wood.

Sounds like your wood may be wetter than you want it to be.. Shoveling coals is a PITA.. Preheating your splits should help. Make sure you've got plenty of intake and exhaust, so that nothing is smoldering..

That's what the big boys do. Might try and find an old drum and make a stand-off grate with a side door.

A lot of folks back home in the Carolinas cook in open pits with a burn barrel and just shovel in coals where they want to add heat. I've never seen anyone doing that with an offset.

All of this is great info. I preach pre-heated splits all the time. I'm sure a lot of the old guys are tired of reading it, but it sure feels good to see so many folks advising it.

Another thing, do you scrub your CC at least once a year and re season it? This could have an effect. You may be carrying soot and creosote over from year to year.

A lot of folks back home in the Carolinas cook in open pits with a burn barrel and just shovel in coals where they want to add heat. I've never seen anyone doing that with an offset.

I have done it with an offset, and while it does work, as mentioned above, it is a royal PITA.

I run an offset stick-burner and at times I get a small taste of creosote after I add wood. Any other tricks or advise on adding fuel when cooking with 100% wood.

Use aged dryer than greener wood.
Maintain hot coal bed.
Maximize air flow to generate combustion quickly to flame.
Use splits that are smaller than normal if prior splits have lost flame.
Heat splits on top of firebox, and keep the rotation every time you add wood.
Experiment on what size and length of splits your rig runs cleanest on.
If you have a top lid on your firebox, open to allow splits to start flaming.
No lid on firebox, open cook chamber briefly to dissipate funky white smoke, until newly added splits start burning cleanly.

Lack of, or diminished coal bed prior to the addition of any new wood will prevent the desired almost instant ignition of the newly added split. Waiting to long to add splits can create slow re-ignition, opposed to adding new splits while still having flames from currently burning split. Coal grate with too much air space under the burning wood can also let coals drop through to a low enough level to not have enough direct contact with newly added splits. Depends on how long you wait to add wood.

With your fabrication skills, and design experimentation, I feel that any changes that you need to consider regarding how to get a newly added split to burn clean will be a very short learning curve.
Good luck.

Not an offset, but I burn logs on my Santa Maria cooker. I shovel coals into it that I get from a little log burning box that AZBBQ made for me to match my Scottsdale.

Not sure if that's an efficient way to run an offset, but it works great for grilling. Plus the hot coals will be like lit lump, and not so smoky I would think.

I'm new also, and thought I would have to keep lit coals on hand till I learned how to run my stick burner but it hasn't been necessary.

I knew going in that different types of wood and wood with different moisture content would light and burn differently. Also, split wood always ignites faster than "logs". And straight grained wood ignites and tends to burn faster than twisted, knotty wood, but the knotty wood produces more coals.

I did a couple cooks with pecan splits and didn't have to do anything but throw one on every forty or fifty minutes. I had them all sized pretty much the same.

Then I tried some hickory that was bagged by Kingsford. I know it had moisture in it because I could hear it hiss and sizzle after I added a split. And of course it would smoke pretty heavy. I had to add two very small splits of well seasoned cherry for each split of the hickory to get it to ignite and get going good. I've found that the smaller splits worked better and produced less smoke than lump.

In the six cooks I've done so far, I haven't had any trouble with over smoked meat or creosote.

If anything, I'm surprised that I don't get more smokey tasting meat using straight wood.

Attachments

• KIMG0274.jpg
    KIMG0274.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 192
I run an offset stick-burner and at times I get a small taste of creosote after I add wood. Does anyone out there build two fires and shovel hot coals into their smoker? I tried this for the first time over the weekend and I would have to say that my chicken came out absolutely perfect. Any other tricks or advise on adding fuel when cooking with 100% wood.

Agree with the above posters. It's all about clean heat/high air flow with wood burning.

A burn barrel is true-blue wood fire cooking, but, man oh man, is that some labor. Scott's BBQ in South Carolina does just that and people will come from out of state for their whole hog.

Burn barrel coals transferred by shovel to the firebox of an offset is 1000% full force. I'd do it if it wasn't for kids, etc. Enjoy.

Great tips here for you. I'll also vouch for the pre-heating your splits, it really helps. I set mine on top of my firebox. One thought I had on my last chicken cook was that maybe drippings from the chicken were vaporizing and sticking to the skin to get an additional smokey flavor. My last time I cooked chicken, I forgot a drip pan underneath. I haven't noticed it cooking other meats.

I've done a pretty comprehensive video on my YouTube channel about running my stick burner. A little long, but it is pretty detailed. Check it out, it could help.

[ame]https://youtu.be/__NRUmsWCdQ[/ame]

When I had an offset I followed all the above advice but when I did get white smoke I didn't mind opening the fire box lid for a bit to let it escape. I'd rather let the temp drop a little than have nasty tasting meat. Now I have a vertical log burner and can't do anything about it. Turns out great dispite the occasional white smoke.

Back