Brisket Sell By Date

DBBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Picked up a brisket last week, (Costco Prime) with intentions of cooking it last weekend, which never happened. Has a sell by date of July 25. Is it good until Saturday if I want to cook it then? I have always cooked them before the sell by date, or froze them...thanks.

A little wet aging won't hurt anything. To accurately wet aging you need to technically know the packing dates the box, but that being said I've gone close to 70 days in the fridge on one I picked up out of the meat case.

Had a Costco prime that I left in the fridge for 30days until I finally found a weekend to cook it. If the cryo is broken or you start to see a lot of air bubbles in the cryo then I'd freeze.

It's the sell by date, not use by date. There is time to allow the consumer to cook.

I've been over by two weeks with no issues, just make sure you keep it in the coldest spot of the refrigerator.

A few weeks ago, I cooked a Costco prime brisket that I put in the freezer in March 2016. It was good, but I think I detected a tiny amount of freezer age in its flavor, even after the smoke. One reviewer commented that "this brisket is off the hook!" I took this to be a good thing.

Back