IN PROGRESS **SPECIAL** Discussion Thread -> "Drum Cooker Showdown!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new Special TD category for the month of June is...

[FONT=&quot]"Drum Cooker Showdown!"

[/FONT]
CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

100_0490751x800_zpsa4c3013e.jpg

Say "Hi" to my buddy N8. He knows a thing or two about drum cookers. :biggrin1:

Please Note:

• This is a totally open category as long as you cook your dish in a drum cooker, be it a PBC, UDS, or other such smoker or grill fashioned from a metal drum. Simple enough.

• Standard Throwdown rules apply (except for the fact that you have to cook in a drum cooker this time).

• Multiple entries are both allowed, and encouraged. :thumb:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Monday 6/2 through Sunday 6/29/14.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 6/30/14.

Click here to
READ THE RULES
for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Since I'm on the sidelines for this one, I intend to cheer folks entries. :thumb:

Let the drumbeats roll!

I guess I should have stated all those items were cooked over sat/sun.
Ribs, chickens, collard greens, turnips, beets, sweet potatoes, bacon, pork/jalapeno/onion/smoked gouda cheese fatty.
The beets are really sweet and good but don't taste like beets ( first try at smoking)
Turnips taste like smoked radishes, very good ( first try at smoking )
sweet potatoes, freakin awesome.
collared greens were then boiled down in a bit of pork fat from a prior butt drippin's with a bit of chicken stock added.
The fatty like all of them have been awesome but too small.
I'm a carnivore so you can guess on the rest of the meat products.

PBC Cook

Let me preface this by saying that I know the photos suck and that the food isn't presented properly. That being said, here ya go:

PBC2_zps0de25547.jpg

PBC Going

RibEye_zpsb8fe27bf.jpg

Ribeye getting rubbed

RibEyeHanging_zpsaec00567.jpg

Getting tasty. Notice the hooks through the meat and not the roping. I have no idea why.

RibEye2_zpsf22e5a76.jpg

Eaten with some fresh horseradish. Delicious.

Thanks for looking and not laughing.

Eric

My drum cook entry

I don't have a UDS or a PBC or a PBS or what ever you call them.
But I don't want to get spanked by N8man ether.
What I do have is a drum I make charcoal in. One 55 gal and one 30 gallon, and some leftover parts from an old smoker.
Hopping to get extra points for innovation.

B8388FBA-7DAF-454A-A98C-6A8BEDE1D6F6_zpsfrrbdfsk.jpg

Here's the setup.
Place the 30 gal in the 55 gal. The drip pan fits perfectly in the top of the 30 gal and a grill grate sits on top. Then add lump charcoal all around the smaller one.

594FCCC4-3D13-4F1A-8A04-47257FC79A3D_zpssuzodyit.jpg

Since we are doing a whole chicken I decided to do a herb roasted chicken.
Thanks to Meathead for the inspiration for the rub. Its called Simon and Garfunkel. Parsly, Sage, Rosemary, Thyme, and some Oregano too.

06162bae-4173-42a9-9960-8ed0004bd693_zpsca5801de.jpg

Give it all a fine mince, put it in a bowl and add EVOO until you have a paste.

04AC7CD9-ECC7-4FF0-868F-A4593C37A83A_zpsavp0zsti.jpg

Salt and pepper the inside of the bird then rub it all over and under the skin too.

B53408B8-8C91-4259-8A0E-93B75916EC16_zpsu80j7iaq.jpg

Having never used this setup for cooking before, I wasn't sure what to expect. I had a bit of trouble getting a high enough temp for roasting a whole chicken, so as usual dinner was late.
I eventually did manage the fire and it's cooking nicely.

2E1EF7FC-5CA3-49E2-83EB-6BC75B2F9940_zpsjf1ggii6.jpg

When the chicken was done, it was time to dress for dinner.
Please use this as my entry shot.

CCB1BC77-D9CE-49D3-8463-3E8C89D7594A_zpseobhfp3o.jpg

It was a whole lotta sexy, tasty chicken!

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Everybody went out of town Saturday for my nephew's baseball game and I stayed home to do a bunch of chores. I did negotiate a deal that I would have dinner for them when they got home. I smoked them a pulled pork pie, mac and cheese and tried out a bean recipe I found here with apple pie filling. Turned out great. So here's my entry. I hope you like it.

Let me preface this by saying that I know the photos suck and that the food isn't presented properly. That being said, here ya go:

So how did you get that cool logo on your PBC? Never seen that before. Nice looking cook by the way!

i would say photoshop, it looks like its flat and not cylindrical like the drum.

I think that I read in some thread that there were some special order PBC barrels with the logo that were given to moderators some time back. It might be one them although that does look suspect.

i would say photoshop, it looks like its flat and not cylindrical like the drum.

Nope... It's real.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152949

I think that I read in some thread that there were some special order PBC barrels with the logo that were given to moderators some time back. It might be one of them.

Phil had set up a special order code with Noah at PBC for Brethren subscribers. The info is in the Subscriber Forum, but I don't know if the offer is still valid. It was about 18 months ago.

Back