• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Farkin' Chicken Skin is Killin' Me

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
OK seeing as how my chicken skins are ALWAYS seeming to pull back from both ends, I had an idea - any thoughts on this:

Buy a package of nice trimmed boneless, skinless thighs from Sam's Club and a couple of packages of regular thighs. Take off the skins from the regular and trim them down and cut off all fat. Wrap them completely around the smaller boneless, skinless thighs and use toothpicks to hold in place.

Labor intensive, yeah, but possibly worth it? :?: Anyone ever try this?

Your idea almost guarantees the skin will pull off the meat with no effort.

how about this instead.

get thighs that are on the larger side of medium.

Using a sheers, or VERY sharp knife, trim the thigh to be much smaller than the skin, so the existing skin wraps around the chicken and can be tucked under.

;)

I suppose that's a better idea, Phil. What about de-boning them to make more room under the skin?

Sounds like Sammie of Chick N Pig needs to have a chicken cooking class. Where do I sign up?

Sounds like Sammie of Chick N Pig needs to have a chicken cooking class. Where do I sign up?

No Chit. I am going to stay out of the competitions until I know I can beat a 10 yr old............... I'll be waiting awhile. Hey, Sammie if you need a BBQ B#$&, or a "Helper" let me know I am in, and I can drive to get you anything.

That tooth pick idea worked out pretty good in practice. But now this trimming of the chicken and the tucking of its skin sounds interesting. May have to give it a shot this weekend.

Your idea almost guarantees the skin will pull off the meat with no effort.

how about this instead.

get thighs that are on the larger side of medium.

Using a sheers, or VERY sharp knife, trim the thigh to be much smaller than the skin, so the existing skin wraps around the chicken and can be tucked under.

;)

What Poobah said is pretty much what Dr. BBQ taught us at the class.

Jeff - why not just cook them like you did at Blue Springs last year? Was that a fluke? Go back to what won!!!...or keep looking for that elusive gurantee. :roll:

Jeff - why not just cook them like you did at Blue Springs last year? Was that a fluke? Go back to what won!!!...or keep looking for that elusive gurantee. :roll:

If you recall, we were up all night drinking with your drunk "girlfriends" watching them dump pork butts off collapsing racks into water pans... I'm not sure I remember WTF I did at Blue Springs! :lol:

Jeff - you worry too much. Try to find thighs that are about the same size ( I know its hard to do some times). I then trim the thighs to get them even closer to the same size. Heres the trick tho, just trim the meat under the skin and pull the skin back over the meat.
You can always trim excess skin after the cook.
Chicken is easy, pork on the other hand is a different animal.

Skin Wtf

OK guys some basic FYI
This is some info I have discovered over the past few years on chicken cooking, smoking, and frying. This information has helped me win bird a few times. Chicken Skin WTF

OK I have found two kinds of chicken for sale!
Fryer Chicken and Smokin’ Chicken

Birds store fat mostly in the skin and Chickens with a thick fatty yellowish skin are mostly produced by big chicken producers like Purdue etc. A fatty yellow stained skin comes from the chicken's growth enhancing diet like corn. You guys will find that yellow more fatty skin is associated with a higher quality bird in the stores and this is most likely true but white/light skinned bird will get crispier faster and has less FAT content than a yellow skin bird. I realize other variables should be considered when discussing skin color like chicken processing temps etc etc. but this has been my experience. While shopping for chicken I look for a young bird with a thinner translucent skin. I try to look for bird that is advertised as a young bird and look for skin quality and fat content IN THE SKIN.

Just my 2 cents worth on the subject and I hope it helps a few guys put it all in the box!

OK guys some basic FYI
This is some info I have discovered over the past few years on chicken cooking, smoking, and frying. This information has helped me win bird a few times. Chicken Skin WTF

OK I have found two kinds of chicken for sale!
Fryer Chicken and Smokin’ Chicken

Birds store fat mostly in the skin and Chickens with a thick fatty yellowish skin are mostly produced by big chicken producers like Purdue etc. A fatty yellow stained skin comes from the chicken's growth enhancing diet like corn. You guys will find that yellow more fatty skin is associated with a higher quality bird in the stores and this is most likely true but white/light skinned bird will get crispier faster and has less FAT content than a yellow skin bird. I realize other variables should be considered when discussing skin color like chicken processing temps etc etc. but this has been my experience. While shopping for chicken I look for a young bird with a thinner translucent skin. I try to look for bird that is advertised as a young bird and look for skin quality and fat content IN THE SKIN.

Just my 2 cents worth on the subject and I hope it helps a few guys put it all in the box!

How about a brand name ???

Back