MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:46 AM   #1
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Default Why defrost?

So I was talking to my brother at the grocery store last night and he was looking at the frozen ribs in my basket when he asked, "Do you ever smoke anything without defrosting first?"

I said, "No"

"Why?"

"I like to peel the membrane off the ribs before I cook them and I didn't think you could do that with frozen ribs."

Then he asked, "If that 10lb pork lion in the basket was frozen, would you defrost it first? After all, there's no membrane on it."

After thinking about it, I said that I would still defrost it. But it got me thinking.

Do we need to defrost meat before putting it in the smoker? Assuming the extra time it will take to cook isn't a factor, what are the upsides and what are the downsides of not defrosting before smoking meat?
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Putting frozen meat in the smoker will increase the time that it is in the danger zone (40-140 degrees) and could lead to food safety issues.

Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Campchef FTG600/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-15-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
Panupat
On the road to being a farker

But it would be in that range while you're defrosting it too right?
Panupat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
krex1010
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panupat View Post
But it would be in that range while you're defrosting it too right?
Not if you're defrosting in the fridge like we are supposed to.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #5
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Putting frozen meat in the smoker will increase the time that it is in the danger zone (40-140 degrees) and could lead to food safety issues.
For a thin cut like ribs that wouldn't be an issue at all, as for a Butt I really think you'd have to time it out and it would still be subject to cooking temp, I like to cook Butts at 300.

I haven't done it but I know I have read posts on people that have smoked fully frozen Butts on this forum.
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #6
Ol'Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

Good question, haven't tried it but I may, not that many deg between frozen and thawed

Old 06-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
jestridge

It will tale longer and seem too me like the rub might not go in as good , I'm just guessing at that. I have cook butt that is not completely thaw, turn out ok
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2016, 10:23 AM   #8
Bludawg

I cook frozen neked fatties they hold the round shape and are really moist.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:26 AM   #9
Gary Tomato
is one Smokin' Farker

Juiciest smoked chicken breasts I ever had were started still 25% frozen!
Gary Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2016, 10:30 AM   #10
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Only one way to find out....

Old 06-15-2016, 10:37 AM   #11
aawa
Babbling Farker

1. You increase the time spent in the Danger Zone. If you defrost the ribs, you can do safely by keeping it in the Refridgerator that is cooled below 40 F.

2. More even cooking of meats. As the meat cooks if it is frozen, the outside will cook considerably faster than the inside. This makes more impact when cooking items like steak and poultry. On items like ribs, pork butts, and brisket (that are cooked till the interconnective tissue is rendered) this isn't super important provided you can get the meat out of the danger zone within 4 hours. But starting with frozen meat will increase your cook time considerably.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:03 AM   #12
Mike Twangzer
is One Chatty Farker

Wouldn't be able to get a hook through it to hang in the PBC
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2016, 11:26 AM   #13
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post

That would be somewhat questionable. The meat is going into a smoker that is over 200 degrees, so the surface of the meat wouldn't be in the danger zone for very long at all. If it's an intact piece of meat, the danger zone rules don't apply to the internals. If it's not intact, it's frozen in the middle when it goes on, so a good portion of it's time initially will be at sub 40 temps.
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #14
Demosthenes9
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
But starting with frozen meat will increase your cook time considerably.

It will increase the cook time, but will shorten the overall time of the cook once you take defrosting time into account.
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #15
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

The idea that any part of the meat would spend more time in the danger zone sounds like bunk to me. I fail to see any physical mechanism for this. Sure it will take longer to hit 140, but the extra time is spent going from 0 to 40. I would love to see evidence that this is really an issue.

Uneven cooking is a bigger issue. The outside will defrost and start cooking much faster than the inside. The main argument for low and slow is more even cooking.

With a stick burner, you don't want cold meat because it will cause condensation to form like on your cocktail glass that sweats on a hot humid day, and that can also lead to creosote and bad smoke flavor.

Wood and charcoal are not free. Why waste all that fuel warming up a piece of meat when ambient temps and patience will do the job?

Thanks from:--->