Probing brisket for tenderness question

fremont

Reaction score
I had a CAB packer this weekend that probed tender throughout the flat when temps were in 195-199 range. The flat was overcooked--tender, but overcooked. Had to cut the slices pretty fat to salvage it.

My question: Often I hear, "Don't pull until it probes tender in the thickest part of the flat." Well, in my case, that thickest part (under the point) probed tender well before the rest of the flat. Is that what I screwed up, i.e., only test that thickest part and ignore probing throughout the flat like I did?

I'll be anxious to read what others say about this. I have trouble determining the "thickest part of the flat" - technically it shouldn't be in the middle of the brisket since the point & flat are separated at an angle - thus the middle of the brisket might be a thin piece of flat and you're hitting the point with the probe.

So, I'm guessing the thickest part would be about one-third from the flat end.

Brisket is still my wildcard of smoked meats. :twitch:

Here is me babbling on about probing brisket during a full cook I documented. So many people talk about what the feel should "feel like", but I never saw anyone visually show probing which I why I did this video. It might not help everyone as you can't feel what I'm feeling, but you can see the "smoothness" when it goes in/out. I actually describe what I feel as still having a little drag when pulling back out. If it goes in/out with literally no resistance and feels like air then it can be overshot.

I also talk about cracking I look for as another indicator.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9UILZf0obk"]Brisket Doneness Probing - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks, Jason, that's interesting. I've always probed into the flat from the side, not the top.

Thanks, Jason, that's interesting. I've always probed into the flat from the side, not the top.

Ya the top gives a more accurate reading I think and is where most probe I think

Ya the top gives a more accurate reading I think and is where most probe I think

Agree. Brisket probing it is a feel that once felt when nailed can be duplicated. Like said above too tender is over cooked. Imagine cool/cold peanut butter.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
I like the little X rated spin she put on the video of "Probe" testing. lol

Was the whole cook done in a pan? If so, do you really think if gets enough smoke done that way?

I like the little X rated spin she put on the video of "Probe" testing. lol

Was the whole cook done in a pan? If so, do you really think if gets enough smoke done that way?

The wife is super inappropriate.........I apologize :becky:. Love that woman.

I don't always, but many times do cook the entire time in a pan. Here is the whole cook. It's really long, but gives all the details. It's gets enough smoke for me. We cook in pans at events in my backwoods.

I think that's a great video showing probe tenderness. There's definitely a fine line, or a window if you will of doneness/

I'm with you on this one Jason. I probe from the top down however I'm usually pulling my briskets from the fire at an average temp of 197 and keep them tight in the Cambro for about 20 minutes to slow the cooking process and then check for tenderness, vent for 15 minutes and put them back in the Cambro with some of the juice to recombine.

That probe feel, at least for me, is the most challenging thing in whole bbq...

So cold peanut butter and or boiled egg should be close? I think I'm one of those people who took the "like buttah" thing way too literally years ago, and I've produced my fair share of overcooked briskets since then :becky:

I did the night train brisket cook a long time ago, and at least at that time concluded it was way undercooked. But then again, it might be time for a redo..

I was pretty close this time, did a 300 F hot & fast flat. 4 hours unwrapped and around 2 hours wrapped in BP. Internal was 198, usually I haven't pulled before 208-210, have adjusted my probe feel significantly now.

Slightly under, but not much...

Back