Competition Chicken

What method are you using for your Comp. Chicken?

• Myron Method: Do you know the muffin man?

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Parkay Method: What bird isn't better after a faux butter bath?

Votes: 24 42.1%
  • Hybrid Method: Low & Slow - then high heat finish

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Nonya Method: What there is a method to this? I'll keep winning, and i'm not telling

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • None of the Above: Don't use thighs? or Don't use one of the methods above?

Votes: 17 29.8%

• Total voters

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
That's right, everyone's favorite category. :doh:

Today is practice day for Chicken. So time to do some shiggin....

Between muffin pans, Parkay, oddly round lumps of poultry, to bite-through skin and dealing with judges eating cold chicken (by the time they get their paws on it)

What are you doing different today than yesterday?

I continue to use bone-in thighs, and attempt to scrape skin to remove fat in hopes of achieving the right texture. Of course, that at times causes more problems due to skin wanting to come off of thigh.

I have cooked them low & slow to render fat instead of scraping, and went to high heat on kettle to finish, and have had my best showing in this fashion, but it is not consistent.

All struggles common to each of us I'm sure. I'm not asking for your competition secrets (unless you just feel forced to share), but more along the lines of just wanting to get a feel for the technique du-jour ...call it online shiggin if you will.
:cool:

Shocked half ythe people claim to use Parkay bath.

Either this is far more prevelant for chicken than I thought (possible) or there is intentinal subterfuge.

Wing-o-lator1.jpg

Wing-o-lator.jpg

Still working on the timing just a bit, but these are REALLY good....

high heat grill here, just working on the flavor profile, bite thru skin is some what easy for me to achieve , just lots and lots of scraping and triming...

dont know what the heck I'm doing. Scraped our old technique on the road to a comp two weeks ago pruduced first OK chicken yet. Everything else has been a disgrace.

Back