BBQ Superbowl???

Sawdustguy

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be cool to have the Team of the Year winners of all the different sanctioning bodies face off in a BBQ Superbowl competition? Each year the competition could be hosted by a different sanctioning body.

BBQ is too subjective. Id like to see something more like this for the champions

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDdbg_Q-LMI"]Revenge of the Nerds -The Belching Contest - YouTube[/ame]

14 regional champs. That's 2 tables of 6 judges each...

Sound less subjective than most contests :-D

So what would the teams be required to cook?
Almost all organizations have pork as a category, but after that it is all over the place, chicken in a few, brisket in a few, ribs in most, whole hog in some, etc.

I'd say that the MIM/MBN type contest (blind box only) would be the most fair as it would recognize the top few in each category, but the winner would be the best/highest score from one category. No "finals", just the best score overall. Using the 10 point must rule, there should be fewer ties. Tie breaker could be how well they did in other categories.

Just a thought.

If the different associations were taking turns hosting it, I'd assume that it would use the rules for that association. Different rules each year, but it would also potentially expose more people to each associations intricacies. Wrap it up with a TV deal to get viewers in, and I could see a situation that would either celebrate the differences, and lead teams to branch out more from their typical KCBS/MBN/FBA comps, or lead to a consolidation that would put everyone competing the same way each week. I think either one of these could be good, but for different reasons, obviously.

I think that a "BBQ Superbowl" is a great idea. How would determine which association would host the event first? Would the "Superbowl" travel from region to region or would it be held in the same location every year and just have a different association host each year? Another question is when would the event be held? Some regions seasons may be much longer than others? Would it be after the AR and Jack? It is a very interesting concept.

Since some organizations don't declare a TOY until LATE in the year (November/December) maybe have an early spring contest with all the TOYs from the previous year. Ideally, if it could be held somewhere in the middle of the country it would probably work better. One problem with the "National BBQ Championship" that the National BBQ News/National BBQ Association used to hold was that it was in southern Georgia and was quite a distance for anyone except those teams located in the southeast to get to. ALSO, it was held in early November when KCBS teams were still battling it out for TOY. I still think that there could be multiple meat categories and all of the teams would pick two meats for turn-in. The best (highest) score wins.

I see 2 options.

Hold in the home port of sanctioning organization hosting that year.

Or

Find a neutral centralized location with good weather as a permanent home base. Perhaps Sam's could hold in Bentonville or maybe use St Louis, Jackson MS, or New Orleans.

The rules would either need to rotate, based upon whose turn it is that year, or develop a hybrid of all the sanctioning orgs rules.

IIRC, the National BBQ Festival invited the top 10 from each organization. They had 5 categories -- chicken, brisket, pork, ribs & whole hog. Each team chose 3 of the 5 categories. That format allowed teams to chose which categories they were strongest. There is also strategy involved. Only a handful of teams entered whole hog while almost all entered pulled pork.

Gothenburg NE can host it the first year. Gothenburg sits on Interstate 80 between North Platte and Kearney. Middle of the country.

Sometime during the month of May. We have a city park, teams could choose 1 of the 48 campsites (10 per association would be to many for us), the majority are pull thru (25x70) Water and 30 amp electricity at each site. Dump site on the grounds, showers, bathrooms, good judging facilities, 40 pounds of ice per team.

Whatever the entry fee is goes to the prize purse, each association could kick in some to the prize purse.

Of course, lots of other details to work out. Just throwing it out there.

Gothenburg hosts the Pony Express BBQ Challenge, which is a RMBBQA and GOBS event.

Mike

I think this is a great idea but have a few questions. Some associations have two divisions (ie:RMBBQA) would both winners be invited? I think we can all agree a team like parrothead who cooks in multiple associations and wins the shot glass division in the RMBBQA and probably several others that are like it should be invited. I'm all for it but I think if it's going to happen, the heads of each board need to sit down and agree on either a central location or a rotating location with each associations rules depending on location. Just my two cents

The OP was interested in "sanctioning bodies". Does the RMBBQA sanction contests or are they like the CBBQA who simply have a points race for member teams but leave the sanctioning to others, specifically KCBS? If is is sanctioning bodies, then that would leave out a number of regional bbq association champions.

Gothenburg NE can host it the first year. Gothenburg sits on Interstate 80 between North Platte and Kearney. Middle of the country.

Sometime during the month of May. We have a city park, teams could choose 1 of the 48 campsites (10 per association would be to many for us), the majority are pull thru (25x70) Water and 30 amp electricity at each site. Dump site on the grounds, showers, bathrooms, good judging facilities, 40 pounds of ice per team.

Whatever the entry fee is goes to the prize purse, each association could kick in some to the prize purse.

Of course, lots of other details to work out. Just throwing it out there.

Gothenburg hosts the Pony Express BBQ Challenge, which is a RMBBQA and GOBS event.

Mike

May is prime bbq season. Besides Memphis in May with basically takes up 2 weekends for most teams with travel and load in, you have beaucoup other established BBQ contests. Honestly, it would have to be held someplace mild and central. I've seen February in Nebraska...not warm :)

May is prime bbq season. Besides Memphis in May with basically takes up 2 weekends for most teams with travel and load in, you have beaucoup other established BBQ contests. Honestly, it would have to be held someplace mild and central. I've seen February in Nebraska...not warm :)

Yeah February is no good. The water at the park isn't turned on until April.

At least I gave it a shot.

Back