Double barrel smoker build.

Smilerb

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Please don’t expect a super fast build as I can only work on it one day a week.
After lots of research (mainly on this great site) I have decided to build a double barrel smoker but with a few other ideas thrown in, I’m taking some principles from other BBQ’s and using them on my build.
For the lower “barrel” I will be using the large section from my present offset smoker, it was cheap and I have already modified it but I can’t keep everything! The cooking barrel will be a 50 gal drum

The Plan.............

dedicated air flow to the fire box, as found on the BGE and on some UDS’s, adding a heavy metal deflector as used in some offset smokers and also making the internal height of the smoke stacks adjustable.

I’m a great believer in reusing unwanted items. Here's the first, an old TV/VCR stand from the College I work at.

It all unbolts so I have lots of handy items, the wheels and frame will form part of my own frame, the support tubes will become the air intakes for the fire box. The lockable box is made of 2.5 mm thick steel from this I will make my heat/smoke transfer box and main damper and also it will form part of the fire box.

Transfer box made up with the bushes loosely fitted for the damper control.

Damper made up from the door, cut in half and welded back together

Damper loosely installed still more to do but that will happen later.

Hopefully another update next week
Gavin

The 8' cutout in this diagram is too small.........(just a Google Image I found a while back).

Last edited:
Managed a few more hours this weekend, more work on the damper and heat smoke deflector

Added some stops and rebate to the damper assembly

Steel smoke and heat defector sat on top of damper

Underside of deflector

Made this part adjustable so I can open it up just in case it "chokes" the damper and limits the heat transfer

Thought I would give it a smoke test with a smoke match, difficult to get a good photo as it was wet and windy but hopefully you can see the effect I am after

Hopefully start on the fire box next week

Gavin

Managed to get some more done this weekend, put together the "air box" for the fire box,

This is how it sits in the fire box and it is removable, I will be making some covers to go over the tubes, and of course lots of cleaning up to do

This is with the fire box in position, you can see how the air flow is restricted to coming in under the fire. Still more work to do to it, ran out of cutting discs!!.

Hopefully another update next week.

Gavin

Still working away, even slower than I had planned, still working on the fire box, added some polished stainless steel “Bling” to both ends, I will be adding some insulation between the barrel and stainless endplate.
Made two butterfly air flow controls , one for each end these will be connected to hand wheels for fine adjustment

My brother inlaw also dropped off my main cooking barrels, just cleaning those out at the moment.
Total cost so far £0 J

Been working on the firebox hinges, I've gone for a double pivot hinge, it will give better opening because of the cooking barrel will be above and if I add a gasket it will automatically adjust

I'm also fitting a shroud around the heat/smoke transfer box this will be packed with insulation, its only taped together but I'm sure you get the idea.

Gavin

Bit of a jump update wise, taken me longer than expected, connected the fire box to the cooking barrel, the transfer box is heavily insulated,

and the cooking barrel now with its lid opening has been insulated and is double skinned. The door is also double skinned and insulated but has a stainless steel outer cover.

Lid fitted on double pivot hinges,

Lid closed

As soon as lid is lifted the ball bearings act as a roller and help take the weight

As the lid is raised the bearing moves forward

Lid fully open with the bearing and lid held in place

Image of one of the chimney exhausts with the exhaust at its highest point and is adjustable in one inch increments

I’ve also connected one of the firebox dampers up to a wheel,

turning it left closes the damper , turning to the right opens the damper

and just to make sure I can see the position of the damper I’ve added a very simple indicator,
Damper closed

Damper fully open

Hopefully I'll have it fully completed by my next update.

What kind of insulation did you use on the top barrel?

Its a foil bubble wrap type, it has a UK A/Class 1 fire rating, good for over 600 Deg C about 1100 deg F. I used ceramic fiber around the transfer port and rockwool in the ends of the lower barrel.

Back