Spatchcocked chicken ***NOT BRINED***

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I saw the brine or not brine chicken debate and had a whole bird thawed for cooking today so figured this could contribute to the discussion. Now this is a Heritage Farms from Krogers which is already enhanced mind you. IMO it's important to distinguish between enhanced and non.

Seasoned heavily the inside and outside, fired up the 007 cooking 350-400* direct. Started skin side up and I flip down when the skin starts to tighten up.

First two pics is when I flipped down
and wasn't very far into the cook.

Now the rest were when it was almost done and then when pulled. I just can't imagine anymore juice could fit into it which why is I'll never brine enhanced birds...plus they could get mushy.

Looks delicious. This is what I can't understand about brining. My whole chickens come out looking like this, enhanced or not, usually not. Not as salty as a brined bird, but just as moist.

Enhanced is another word for "pre brined plus we are inflating the weight with water so we can get more money at the same price per pound" so I agree, don't brine an already enhanced bird.

tell me about the skin
His looks great, but I can tell you that the only non-bite through chicken skin I've had in quite a while was with brined birds.
Another bonus of not brining is that you can get great chicken with birds that you buy on impulse on your way home to cook.

Really good looking bird. I did 3 yesterday, non-enhanced, at 325-350* and pulled them for vacation. My wife makes great chicken salad and we will have for 6 adults and 2 children for several meals. I usually only buy non-enhanced birds and spatched them.

Really good looking bird. I did 3 yesterday, non-enhanced, at 325-350* and pulled them for vacation. My wife makes great chicken salad and we will have for 6 adults and 2 children for several meals. I usually only buy non-enhanced birds and spatched them.
I'll take non-enhanced any day over the enhanced also. I'm a sucker for some sales though.

His looks great, but I can tell you that the only non-bite through chicken skin I've had in quite a while was with brined birds.
Another bonus of not brining is that you can get great chicken with birds that you buy on impulse on your way home to cook.
Yep

tell me about the skin
Tom the skin was very good and edible...direct fire heat always does good for me. Like dads4 said the bad skin can come from the over brined stuff.

These birds were on sale at Kroger, I have a feeling the were at the point they needed to go on sale because a couple spots were a tad mushy.

Enhanced is another word for "pre brined plus we are inflating the weight with water so we can get more money at the same price per pound" so I agree, don't brine an already enhanced bird.

Yup, the same thing.

Great looking bird!

Exactly.

That plate of food looks great, like the potatoe. Nice color on the bird also.

That looks wonderful, Moist and a nice skin it appears
Question if I may , if you coat a chook with enough seasoning isn't that a dry Brine?
I,m curious and wonder about such things

Agree, no brine on enhanced birds. The bird, the plate look beautiful very nice job, thanks for sharing and putting my hunger over the edge.

Back