60lbs Butts, 50lbs Chicken, Saving Pork Au Jus and Yield Measurement

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Seeing some family out of state next month and Erin reminded me that we need to re-supply them with bbq. So since there isn't much going on I figured today would be a good day to cook a bunch of stuff and vacuum seal it all up for when we go down :mrgreen:.

Since I have a bunch of butts and boneless skinless thighs I figured I would measure it all afterwards for fun to get the yield :loco:. I normally get 50% on butts and 60% on these thighs. 61.5lbs of pork and I have 50lbs of thighs with a full case and another 10lbs from my freezer. So we'll see for fun how much I get out of each today.

I started last night and put the butts on around 11pm. Did a quick fat cap trimming and seasoned with my new favorite rub for pork which is this KC Steak Seasoning from RD :clap2:

Butts on the G2 Party. I haven't done an overnight cook in a while, but felt like doing it today so the afternoon could be open

Here they are about 7:45am this morning. Bottom 4 butts were all right around 192-194 and close to done. Top butt which were they largest 2 were 185-188

And here is the great thing about pan cooking. Look at all that pork juice. Will defat, strain and then freeze for a later date. Look almost 1.5gallons.

Chicken will go on when the butts are done here probably in about an hour. I also have some ribs and rib tips to cook, but might do that tomorrow depending on my mood. Happy Saturday Smoking!

Before and after? I thought we just guessed and assumed?

Meat boneyard

Put 2 butts at a time into the bowl and loosley pull. I try to leave bigger chunks for when I seal

More pulled shots

And here comes the weigh in. Each pan is about an ounce

Here the measurements including pans

So if my idiot math is correct about 36lbs 3oz. Take out 6oz for the pans to get 35lbs 13oz. So that from 61.5lbs. You can do the math on the yield there. I do add some of the liquid back. Maybe 1/4 cup per butt.

Getting ready to seal. Bought the bags on amazon to see how they are as I know lots around here use them.

Nice cook. Go big or go home! The Shirley is probably very jealous about this development. Probably thinking "Those batches are interesting. I could have done all that at once myself."

Nice cook. Go big or go home! The Shirley is probably very jealous about this development. Probably thinking "Those batches are interesting. I could have done all that at once myself."

Ha ya. Wanted to change it up a little :loco:

Nice cook. I am going to have to try the pan thing.

What do you do with all that pork juice?

Nice cook. I did chicken thighs like that in my backwoods last weekend, it's my new favorite way to do pulled chicken. Does it reheat in vacuum seal bags as well as pulled pork does?

Looks delicious! I always cook my pork in pans I prefer it.. That chicken looks just like how I was going to cook it this coming weekend! Did you add anything to the pan besides the raw chicken and seasoning?

Back