New BBQ Sauce label design (Opinions wanted)

River City Smokehouse

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey all:
I'm working on a new label design. Is the new one better or the old one? The art work is what has changed nothing else on the label yet of course.
Thanks, Jim

Old Label
_small.jpg

New Label
bbq_label.jpg

I like the new one....for some reason those damn smiling animals holding the letters appeal to me more.....They are both good designs, but I do like the new one....

I don't know why, but I like the old one better. SMOKEHOUSE is a little covered up in the second. The steer in the first is distinctive. I love the pig with the Blue Ribbon. The animals have attitude like "Eat me, M***** F*****!!". The new animals are more like, "Eat me, please."

My Marketing 101 is conflicting me here.

I personally like the softening up of the characters, but can also see the ones with "attitude" potraying a "bolder" stance, and possibly bolder taste.

Lighter stance might be more appealing to the masses.

So that, to me, is a plus.

But here's where the 101 conflict comes in. The softer characters partially obscure the brand name. Now we only did mock ups in college for Marketing Tests, and I only did 3 or 4 site surveys of our designs (where you ask people in Malls various surveys) but I had the "never block the product name" pounded into my brain from the professor.

And the pig in picture 1 looks shnookered.

I don't know why, but I like the old one better. SMOKEHOUSE is a little covered up in the second. The steer in the first is distinctive. I love the pig with the Blue Ribbon. The animals have attitude like "Eat me, M***** F*****!!". The new animals are more like, "Eat me, please."

Pretty cool.

We posted at the same time, and covered the same points.

Brothers in Sauce

To my eye, the old label makes the bull the focal point. The new one makes "River City Smokehouse" the focal point.

In addition, the aggressive look of the old bull is a distraction to me. The new bull looks more friendly and I like the way the animals are each holding a letter.

Lastly, the old one is graphically crowded and the new one is not.

Bottom line -- I like the new one quite a bit better. Good job.

I think the first one might make people think that the stuff is spicier because of the 'tude of the animals.

I prefer the old one.

One thing about the new one is that the pig is covering enough of the "S" that it does not immeidately strike you that it Says "Smokehouse."

The old one also has the blue ribbon that subtley implies quality.

In the old one my focus is drawn to the words "River City Smokhouse"

In the new one my focus is drawn to "BBQ"

So I would ask, are you trying to brand "BBQ" or "River City Smokehouse?"

That's my 2 cents worth. New or old, hopefully something that I've stated is of use to you.

WOW!

A lot of posting going on while I was writing mine.

Some interesting points, agreements and differing opinions.

Covering as much of the S in Smokehouse is a NO NO, it looks like Cmokehouse. But uncovering your name is a very easy fix. Lower the pig and chicken beside the BQ letters, alter the horns on the bull. But I think I like the original label design too. Is your goal to get BBQ in the label? If so, that can be added to the lower right white space of the original lable. Slightly move down the black title bar and put the stars up top of the sunburst.

If you do change, I do like the fact that the overall design is very similar. Same colors, same starburst, similar white billboard. That's good, you don't change your brand overnight.

But why does it have the rub ingredients/directions on the sauce label?:mrgreen:

To my eye, the old label makes the bull the focal point. The new one makes "River City Smokehouse" the focal point.

I totally argree with what you are saying.......but.......I still prefer the old deisgn.

The animals on the older label frame the logo and help it pop, the newer design has the 'Smokehouse' obscured by a softer more unappealing version of the characters.

Going with the second label, would the pig look better in the middle? where the pink would work better with the background and assuming the bull ends up on the left the horns would stand out from the red background.

I like the old label. The animals look like they have a little attitude, the way a good sauce / rub should be. They seem to grab your attention more.......

I can't give you a truly non-biased accurate opinion until you send me a sample of the rub and the sauce.

Then I'll be able to tell you which label is better. ;)

What about swapping the chicken and pig on the new label? That might allow more or all of the S to come through.

When I first saw the second one, I thought it said MoreHouse.

I like the old label...in the new one it looks like the chicken is afraid of getting eaten (Uh, please don't eat me sir). BBQ is about attitude & the old label has more attitude than the new one...the new one is too cartoonish, which makes me think it's not a serious sauce.

just my .02

I like the old label. The animals look like they have a little attitude, the way a good sauce / rub should be. They seem to grab your attention more.......
Agreed. The new one would appeal to my kids more than to me.

Last edited:
I can't tell until you send me a sample.
My eyes are fuzzy when I'm sauced or when i'm not!!!!!!

ha ha

Back