Father's Day UDS problem

JackMonroe

Reaction score
Smoked a butt yesterday and had my first problem with my new uds. Previously I did a 9 hour test run with no food and a five hour smoke on a couple of slabs of ribs. Both times holding temp was no problem, maybe not perfect, but always staying in a 3 to 4 degree range. Yesterday I started it up and got it settled in around 250. About four hours in, the temp suddenly dropped like 50 degrees in in a five minutes span and seemed to be headed further down. I opened the intake vents a little and took the top off for a few minutes to get the temp back up. It went for another hour and a half and then it suddenly dropped again. From there on out I had to have all three intakes (3/4 in nipples ) open all the way to keep it at 250. In the end it stayed at that temp until the butt was done and it actually came out awesome, but I don't like that I had to have intakes wide open just to keep it at 250, and that wasn't a problem either of the first times I ran it. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Sounds to me like you're using Blue bag and the ash is building up in the basket choking the fire. Next time give it a good swift kick and see if that don't fix it. If it does stop using that crap there are a lot of charcoal brands much better. Like RO Stubbs or B&B that don't have all the fillers that make all that ash.

Yep- KBB makes more ash and that is not a huge deal IMO. A kick, shake or a jiggle with a steel rod thru one of the intakes every 4 hours is just part of my running a drum. If I can get KBB for $5.00 /18.5 lb bag on sale, I can put up with it. I usually have to get up to get a beer anyway. :-D

Well, you have correctly guessed the charcoal I was using! Thanks for the info. I will look at other charcoal options, but I haven't seen a lot of variety by me. If it happens again I'll give it a good kick/shake and see if it fixes the problem. Thanks again.

Sounds to me like you're using Blue bag and the ash is building up in the basket choking the fire. Next time give it a good swift kick and see if that don't fix it. If it does stop using that crap there are a lot of charcoal brands much better. Like RO Stubbs or B&B that don't have all the fillers that make all that ash.

Does the Kingsford Competition/Professional have the same issue? I think I might try the Stubbs. I have also had ash issues with KBB.

Well if you are going to "kick and shake" may I suggest a D-Cell Kel Light and an ASP Baton??

Unlike dawg, I actually like some of Kingsford specialty coals- Competition-Lump/Briquette and their wood chip infused. But like dawg as he rules out all, I avoid blue bag. I'd do it in a pinch, kind of like Ultra beer.

Back