hot and fast ribs/brisket

Tut-T-Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ive been smoking my meats at 275 for awhile now. been thinking of going up to 300-325. just wondering if anyone has done it and what effects they may have come across with going at a higher temp. reason I wanna raise the temps is because I wanna sell brisket, but I only have one chamber. so if I raise the temps, everything is gonna cook at this temp. any and all info is greatly appreciated. thanks

Ive been smoking my meats at 275 for awhile now. been thinking of going up to 300-325. just wondering if anyone has done it and what effects they may have come across with going at a higher temp. reason I wanna raise the temps is because I wanna sell brisket, but I only have one chamber. so if I raise the temps, everything is gonna cook at this temp. any and all info is greatly appreciated. thanks

The most notable person having done this is Myron Mixon, there may be others; but I usually see him referred to the most often during this cook process.

Here's another article on it, but not Myron's method:
http://www.smoking-meat.com/february-7-2013-smoked-brisket-low-n-slow-start-high-heat-finish

I would keep in mind that Myron's method, I believe, uses an injection to help keep the meat tender during the higher heat cook. Per the article link, he's advocating wrapping it and placing it in a cooler; which I suspect would would continue to cook the brisket and create a "steamed" brisket...not very desirable.

I personally have never done it, so I can't comment on it one way or another.

But, if you're going to cook and sell brisket, there are plenty of good BBQ joints that will smoke their briskets to an IT of 195-203, then pull them and "keep" them for quite sometime, prior to serving. You could figure out the timing on cooking them, then placing them in something like a cambro for later serving or wrap them and place them in a cooler and let them rest until they hit the correct IT. You can get a 5-10 degree swing on wrapping and placing in a cooler, so maybe it's more a function of figuring out your serving times and working back from there? Just a thought.

It's very common. I can't tell a difference. Look up bludawg brisket...can't go wrong.

I like cooking Butt's and Briskets at 300-325, feel I get great results and always get complimented on my cooks, I remember there was a time I thought 225 was a magic number :doh:

If someone likes cooking at 225 nothing wrong with that either, I just like to get er done.

I cook ribs at 350 indirect on my BGE. They go for about 2 hours / until toothpick probe tender, with the last 20 minutes or so to set the sauce.

I do full briskets @ 325-350 all the time with great results in a 5 - 6 hour smoke and up to 4 hours wrapped in foil in a cooler. Did an overnighter at 225 ONCE,,,, Never again! I'm waaaaayyyyy too old for that.

99% of the time I cook at 300+ Typically it is 300-325, but there are times when I'm in a bigger rush and I will cook 350+

You hot and fast guys skip sugars in rubs? When I cook hotter that's what I do , just wondering

Back