• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Newbie question

Usaf1199a

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a propane masterbuilt 7 in 1 smoker I just got. I'm attempting to smoke a chicken today using mesquite wood chips which I've properly smoked. It's been sitting for close to two hours now at around 235 but I've yet to see any smoke. Is this normal? Based on the size of the bird I plan on smoking for around 7 to 8 hours. I expected the woodchips to be at least smoking a little bit by now. Thanks very much!

Sorry pal, but I have no experience on that unit. Dry chips wrapped in a foil pouch (with holes in it) near enough to the heat but not two close.

I too don't think it's gonna take that long even at 235. Pull it when the breast hits 170 and thigh hits 165.

Any thoughts on the Timber Ridge from England Stove Works?

Not seeing the tie into the OP's 7 lb monster chicken, but I looked this up and it looks like a wood burning stove intended for home heating, not cooking. Could probably incinerate a 7 lb. chicken pretty quickly, though.

What you want is a thin, wispy blue smoke rather than a billowing gray smoke that resembles a blast furnace.

You're not going to see much smoke with the propane smoker. It will heat the wood up and it will carbonize the chips slowly giving off a thin invisible smoke. The downside is that the carbonized chips will turn to ashes in a little over an hour depending on where the chip pan is placed. You will have to add more chips as they turn to ashes.

You can however extend the burn by making foiled packs of wood chips with a couple small holes in them, as indicated above, and just add more foil packets as needed.

Also if you have a 7lb+ hen, make sure you didn't purchase a stewing hen, eating it will be quite difficult if it is.

Not sure what the setup looks like inside your smoker, but my Smoke Canyon gas smoker has a decent-sized pan at the bottom, just over the burner for the chips/chunks. I've learned that the chunks do better than the chips for getting me a bit more and longer lasting smoke (I know.. sounds like a "duh" revelation).

A thought for you to ponder for next time, I suppose.

Hope the bird was tasty!

Back