Amaze-N-Tube pellet smoker in a Primo?

Mad_dog97

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I recently upgraded and now have a Primo XL that I'm loving. It's been working great for me as a grill, but having some trouble getting it working like I want as a smoker.

I've been trying to use my 12" pellet tube, but it seems like it dies out very quickly. To get the Primo running in the 225-250 range, you have to really cut down on the intake and exhaust vents (I'm only running with them .25" open). I'm assuming that this is not enough to keep the pellets smoking along.

Anyone else have this setup working? I did a 9 hr smoke on a chuck roast yesterday that was perfect from a temp standpoint, but didn't have much if any smoke on it.

Are you adding chunks or chips to your charcoal? I've never had a problem getting smoke flavor from my BGEs. They do burn efficiently, but some chips or a couple of chunks mixed in with the charcoal does a great job for me.

I haven't run it with chips or chunks yet, but may need to try that. I had a good stash of pellets when I used my propane smoker, so I was hoping I could use them up in the Primo.

Question . . Could I mix the pellets in with the charcoal? Would that throw off enough smoke, or do I need chips/chunks?

Same ? as Ron L. Sometime I will mix chip in with the lump so it smokes evenly as the charcoal burns. The other way is staggering chunks for the center of the pile out. Once you get your burn times down you will be able to ballpark you chunk usage a little better. Feel free to give me a call at the office if you have any questions.

I haven't run it with chips or chunks yet, but may need to try that. I had a good stash of pellets when I used my propane smoker, so I was hoping I could use them up in the Primo.

Question . . Could I mix the pellets in with the charcoal? Would that throw off enough smoke, or do I need chips/chunks?

I am not familiar with the BGE but I do sometimes mix pellets in with my charcoal in the kettle or the beast. You can also save the pellets for cold smoking items in the BGE.

I use chunks in my Kamado Joe with great success. I have often wondered about mixing pellets in with the charcoal to see how that would work. I have 20# bag of apple pellets that I need to do something with.

Mixing in pellets would be similar to mixing in chips. It should work fine. You'll probably have to experiment with how many to use.

Mixing in pellets would be similar to mixing in chips. It should work fine. You'll probably have to experiment with how many to use.

On longer cooks, I mix pellets within the lump the same way I would mix chips in, then add some splits as well. I get better efficiency with flavor pellets.

In my BDS I can also drop some in through the cooking grate really easy, and for the most part they fall straight down into the charcoal basket. This works good when I'm doing Buckboard bacon or maybe chicken where I want/need bursts of smoke.

Back