storing lump?

Trunks

Take a breath!
Reaction score
just wondering how long and the best way to keep bags of lump

i found a place with ozark oak and want to buy alot but wont use it all over the course of the summer

where and how should it be stored and for how long will it be good?

thanks

I have a friend who sometimes makes it and when he does I keep mine in a food grade plastic 30 gallon drum that has a removable lid.

I would just leave it in the original packaging and store it in a dry place up of the floor

No real trick to it except keep it dry

I have also wondered about this. The garage is somewhat inconvenient to my cooking area. I had thought about a good, watertight deck box (still in the bags). Does this sound ok? Someone had suggested some holes in the bottom to eliminate moisture. Can any give Trunks and me some ideas, please? Thanks, Joe

Have 60lbs of ozark oak and want to keep it nice and fresh since they are going out of business and have never used it before as iv never seen it till the other day. Grabbed all thy had 6 10lb bags

Mine stays in the garage.

I buy as many bags as the budget allows when I find them on sale. Most I've had at one time was 20 bags of Royal Oak that Walmart had on sale.

Everthing worked just fine with them.

As long as you keep them in the original bags and stored in a dry location where they can remain dry and off the ground/concrete you should be fine.

Lump is not like briquets, and do not soak up from the moisture in the air like briq's do, so just a good dry area stacked on some pallets or other material should be good. Briquets will soak up moisture in the air like sponges if you do not keep them stored in a controlled environment for long storage. I bought some that a store ( Kroger ) had on display in the front of one of their stores under their canopy and it was nearly worthless as it had soaked up moisture from the rain we had been having for days. It would light, but would not burn consistent in my drum. Lesson learned!

Omar

It is best to store it in the original bags. The owner of Rockwood does not recommend any sort of rubbermaid container for long term storage.

I bought 200 pounds of Ozark Oak when I heard they were going out of business. I keep the bags in the garage and have a Kingsford Kaddy Charcoal Dispenser I keep on the back patio outside. I just dump a bag in and when it gets low, I'll run to the garage and grab another. Been doing this for a year now and the heat/cold/rain/humidity hasn't had any effect on the charcoal.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kingsford-Kaddy-Charcoal-Dispenser-Container/dp/B002HO27WQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429795858&sr=8-2&keywords=charcoal+storage+container"]Amazon.com - Kingsford Kaddy Charcoal Dispenser (Clear Container with Blue Lid) (20"H x 10"W x 19"D) - Kitchen Storage And Organization Product Sets@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41GmpDe0u0L.@@AMEPARAM@@41GmpDe0u0L[/ame]

It's wood...keep it dry, whatever is convenient for you. I just buy two 40 pound bags of mesquite and dump them in a trash can In the garage

Back