First brisket...looking for advice...are you there BluDawg

Biloxidman

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Got this bad. Yo at Wally World and plan on doing my FIRST BRISKET, :shocked:

1524BAE4-5300-43AA-9C65-495D69237597_zpsk1h9hqpo.jpg

CC31B2A0-35F2-4625-B9B5-B1DED7A25E09_zpsvdmludvz.jpg

It's a select cut so I hope it turns out OK. I plan on using the BluDawg method since my Big Joe likes to run around 290-320 on rib cooks and mostly everything else.

Couple of questions......

I plan on using one of my favorite rubs from The Shed. Should I apply the rub FridAy nite and wrap and let sit overnite in the fridge or just apply the rub Saturday morning before putting it on the grill?

If I don't have butcher paper to wrap after 4 hours, can I use foil to get the same result or should I hunt down some butcher paper? My local meat counter uses regular white butcher paper. Is this ok to use?

The last time I did pastrami (took a corned beef, soaked to get the salt out and smoked like a brisket) I wrapped in foil and rested in the oven that I preheated to 250 then turned off and let it rest for 1 hour. Will that work for this brisket?

This is really the next big challenge for me but if I screw it up at least I'm only out $36.00 and I can always make chili!

My advice

Don't rub until about half an hour before it goes on (also bring the meat to room temp before anything)

You can use foil if you don't have butcher paper.

Don't preheat the oven becuase you'll end up overcooking it. Just rest it in a cooler wrapped tight in towels or wrap it with extra foil and put it in oven that's turned off and let it rest. Some kind of an insulated environment works best.

I would try to get butcher paper. It will cook differently in foil, and have a softer bark

The white paper is fine (its what I have) as long as its not coated

I would apply any rub an hour or so before putting it on the pit. Put the rub on, light the pit, let it heat up to temp then put it on

You can also use a plain brown paper bag to wrap if you cant find anything else

My advice

Don't rub until about half an hour before it goes on (also bring the meat to room temp before anything)

You can use foil if you don't have butcher paper.

Don't preheat the oven becuase you'll end up overcooking it. Just rest it in a cooler wrapped tight in towels or wrap it with extra foil and put it in oven that's turned off and let it rest. Some kind of an insulated environment works best.

Letting meat come to room temp takes a lot longer than you think and is kind of a myth. He's just one site talking about it. I go out of the fridge to smoker within 10mins at most.

Also you can rub the night before. I do it a lot to negate one step early in the morning :biggrin1:.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_letting_meat_come_to_room_temp.html

On a big cut of meat, you can rub pretty much any time. Doing it the night before just saves you a step in the morning.

How low does your oven go? You can safely hold meat any temp above 140, but you don't want it to cook any longer. My oven's lowest setting is 170, so I would let the brisket rest on the counter unwrapped until the temp starts dropping to just above that, then re wrap and put it in. If I'm holding a looong time I'll leave the oven on, but for just a short time I might shut it off.

What I did with my oven last was pre-heat the ove to 250, turn it off then let the meat sit in it for an hour. If I don't need to do that I can skip that step. It just worked with the pastrami.

I cook mostly Select grade. Rub while the pit is coming to temp IF you cant get butcher paper get a Brown paper Sack cut out the bottom and down each side of the Glue strip this will give you a big enough sheet to wrap that brisket Work the plan!!!

I just cooked the best brisket so far, deviated from bludawgs method a bit. 15 lb packer that was pretty well trimmed. Cooked for about 8-9 hours, fat cap down in my drum around 325, no wrap. A couple spots weren't done, wrapped in butcher paper and put in oven for another 30 min to hour.

Wrapped in foil, towels, and put in cooler for 5 hours. I held it a little too long, so slightly overdone... But bark and taste were perfect.

I thin it to 1/4 " remove the big hunks of hard fat on the under side

Letting meat come to room temp takes a lot longer than you think and is kind of a myth. He's just one site talking about it. I go out of the fridge to smoker within 10mins at most.

Also you can rub the night before. I do it a lot to negate one step early in the morning :biggrin1:.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_letting_meat_come_to_room_temp.html

Different strokes for different folks. That's why I said "my advice" before I started.:biggrin1:

I cook mostly Select grade. Rub while the pit is coming to temp IF you cant get butcher paper get a Brown paper Sack cut out the bottom and down each side of the Glue strip this will give you a big enough sheet to wrap that brisket Work the plan!!!

I have used the paper bags from HEB (local grocery store) and they worked great. And best of all they were free.

My method; Give the brisket a good wash with warm water(also helps bring to room temp) trim the hard fat off. Sit brisket on a rack so excess water drips off(5-10 mins), meanwhile, get the smoker going. Next, I rub it down with a little mustard so that rub adheres, apply rub and let it sit for about 20-30 mins. If time permits I smoke at 225-235, get the brisket on. I allow it to smoke for about 6 hours or when the bark is a mahogany color then wrap it with whatever I have foil or non coated butcher paper, if you start to run behind foil works great, my experience with butcher paper is that it gets messy with the juices dripping, acts like paper and rips. This is what works for me, good luck with the cook.

Gonna check with the local meat guy to make sure his paper is plain then get some and give it a shot.

You got some pretty good advice so far,.. don't sweat it. Now go smoke that hunk-o-cow. :thumb: Good luck bub.

Different strokes for different folks. That's why I said "my advice" before I started.:biggrin1:

I didn't mean letting it sit out for a bit was wrong. Just if people actually let a brisket (or big piece of meat) sit out for 8-10hrs to literally come to "room temperature" there could be food safety issues. Most people don't mean 8-10hrs when they say it, but it can be misleading to new folks. Sorry if that came across in an unfriendly/dismissive manner.

Back