3 2 1

I may have passed by it in the comments, but if I'm not mistaken, the 3-2-1 method was "developed" for full spare ribs, not St Louis cut or baby backs, and a cook temp of 220-225 as mentioned.
KC
When I first started wrapping ribs I used to do full spares. Problem was the ribs got way overdone to get the tips to cook all the way. Today if I cook full spares I trim down to St' Louis and start the tips an hour prior to the St' Louis cut. I usually cook around 225-240, I'm in no hurry. :grin: I go back and forth on wrapping, just depends on the mood. I think the thing we can't say enough is that 3-2-1 is just a guideline, ribs are done when they are done. If I wrap, I wait for color first, then wrap. Once wrapped, the bend test is my indicator. After that it's just a matter of setting the glaze and they're ready to eat.

One reason I wrap ribs is because I cook / smoke with wood and if I don't wrap the meat sometimes gets too much smoke and is bitter or too smokey. If I wrap for an hour or so they are great. If you are cooking with charcoal you wouldn't have that problem.

Back