Step drill life

DouG M

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I read some place it is best to use a step drill when drilling the drum for a UDS and to use cutting oil on it to get better drill life. What should I use for I can't find and don't have any cutting oil ?

Any oil will help. WD-440, heck even veggie oil would do something.

It can help to start with a smaller drill bit and progress up. For drilling through harder/thicker materials I prefer corded drills. Even a $20 corded drill has more power than battery powered.

As far as the bit goes, Google search for "Uni-bit".

As far as oil goes, like Ninja said, anything is better than nothing.
WD-40, motor oil, canola oil, whatever. You don't "have to" use oil, but it will extend the life of your new bit.

Oh...and if you think you're drilling slow enough, go slower.

3in1, liquid wrench, Marvel.
IMHO a step drill is a poor tool to drill holes with because they wear down too quickly, they are made to be used to expand existing holes. You should buy the proper size bit for your fittings and a couple of smaller bits to drill a pilot hole and to expand it a bit before finishing with the proper size bit. If you need a 3/4 inch hole drill a 1/4 inch pilot hole, expand it with a 1/2 inch bit and then finish. When you're done you will still have plenty of life left in those bits, not so much with the step drill.

The main thing is to keep the bit COOL! Water works the best. In every machine shop they use water mixed with soluble oil. The oil is to keep machines and parts from rusting. Step bits are made from high speed steel. You need to use coolant. If the chips that you are making are turning color from the heat you are turning at too high of RPM and/ or not enough coolant. The larger the diameter the slower the RPM. The correct RPM for a steel drum with a 3/4" diameter bit is 400. For 1" is 306.

As far as drilbit life is concerned:
Back in the early 90's, I used to work at a Honda dealer. One of my main duties was to install rear spoilers on Civics, Accords, and Preludes.
I bought a "Uni-Bit" for that task. Not only did it drill holes in countless Honda decklids, I still use the bit today.
Take car of it, keep it lubed during use, and don't make your drill run at full speed and you'll get a (very) long life out of it.

Granted, I paid $25 for the bit twenty years ago, so if you buy a cheap one, then all bets are off.

Back