Jambo Pits - Backyard Model

Dustindmccoy

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I am very interested in the Jambo backyard model. I am in the Dallas area and it looks like a great deal for the cost. I am also considering a lonestargrillz 48.

Has anyone actually owned a Jambo backyard? If so, I have a few questions:

1. What is the typical lead time?
2. Does Jamie offer any upgrades? I did not see any online, but was interested in better wheels, tuning plates (if needed), extending the prep table and a charcoal basket.
3. How long does this pit hold heat? I have a oklahoma joe and even with several mods, I have to babysit this thing. I am not delusional...I know its still an offset, but I would like to get at least a little sleep.
4. Anyone had luck using a guru on this model?

Thanks for your help! Any other useful info you may have is much appreciated!!!

Dustin

No offense but it sounds like you need an insulated cabinet smoker.

No offense but it sounds like you need an insulated cabinet smoker.

^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^cuz everything you said is trying to Turn a Stick Burner into something it Aint

So get in your Truck and Drive to St. Loius to St Louis BBQ Store and purchase a Humphreys Battle Box or Pint, load said BadAzz Smoker and head back home.

Just give the guys at Humphrey's a call and they will hook you up. I was concerned about shipping on a battle box but it's not bad at all.

I've got a pitmaker vault I am about to sell on a trailer. They are great smokers. They are different from an offset though. Advantages to both. I imagine if the backyard Jambo has an insulated fire box, it'll burn longer than most. The cabinet smokers are so efficient that not much air crosses the meat. There is a lot to all that air. 65% nitrogen gives a much better smoke ring, offsets or a cooker with more air have a distinct flavor profile in my opinion.

I have one.
1)lead time: not sure he is even making them anymore
2)upgrades: not sure
3)a split every 30-40 minutes will have it locked in at 275 with very little temp fluctuation
4)if you want to use a guru buy a cabinet smoker

Backyards are great pits but they are stick burners. As others have said, stick burners need to be tended to but the payoff is worth it. If you don't enjoy "babysitting" look at other options. There are lots of good smokers out there, good luck.

Dustin I have a like new assassin 24 I want to sell to build a brick backyard pit. Make you a good deal on it and you don't have to wait 3-4 month either

Dustin I have a like new assassin 24 I want to sell to build a brick backyard pit. Make you a good deal on it and you don't have to wait 3-4 month either

If he doesn't want it list it in the General for Sale section.

Back