Thawing A Brisket?

104timberwolf

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
got a 17 pounder frozen solid in the original shrink wrap. I would like to cook it when we return from our trip. Will it be OK if I move it to a cold refrigerator for 6 days?

Thanks!

Unless it was past the use by date when you froze it, yes. Even if it was close, still should be fine. Three or 4 days minimum to thaw, so only a couple of days at fridge temp, right?
I would say no problem.

ditto on the no problem. I allow a 4 day minimum to thaw in the fridge as it is just 4 degrees above freezing.

Use by dates are useless. You need to know the pack date to be 100% certain, but a couple of days in the fridge after it thaws should be no problem.

Thanks qman.

The fridge will partially freeze drinks when empty. The brisket went in the freezer well before the sell by date.

Heck I see some of these Freaks leave Meat in Fridge 30 - 45 Days... On Purpose!

got a 17 pounder frozen solid in the original shrink wrap. I would like to cook it when we return from our trip. Will it be OK if I move it to a cold refrigerator for 6 days?

Thanks!

Absolutely. Just stick it in the bottom of the frig, and it will be just fine. It's called wet aging. I've wet aged for as long as 3 weeks. Just rinse it and do your rub thing..:biggrin1:

Thanks!

Brother it will be absolutely fine for such a short period of time. I know that I'm just one man talking here, but I have used them many weeks past the "use by" date with outstanding results. As long as it smells good, then it's good in my book. Again this is just a opinion, but when I buy cryovac briskets, more often than not, I let them sit in the fridge for a couple of weeks before cooking them. Seem to turn out better to me.

Back