Sponsorship?

ahill450

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question and if so you can slap me in the face with a full rack of ribs, but do any teams use sponsors? I am learning that competition is expensive (and I haven't even been in my first one yet) and I was wondering if anyone does use sponsors to help out with some or all of the cost. And if so how did you go about finding and presenting the request for the sponsorship?

Heck yeah!

Sponsorships can be in various forms:
Rub, sauce, meat or other supplies that can be donated.
Other equipment sponsorships like say a trailer manufacturer, someone like a charcoal manufacturer, butcher shop, etc.
OR...just a straight up money donor.

It takes some work to get sponsorships. Either you just win a lot and someone approaches you and offers to sponsor you to get their product on the circuit or in the hands of a winning team OR you just have to approach local businesses around you and flat out ask if they'd be interested in sponsoring your team.

One thing we have done is to put together sort of a brochure or "resume" with our team's accomplishments, mission, goals and history. Then we've used that when talking to potential sponsors to show them that there's an opportunity for their business to be tied to our team (free advertising).

One thing that also helps is that we offer potential sponsors leftover competition meat or discounts (or even freebies, depending on the level of sponsorship) on catering services to an event or two for them during the year.

It's a challenge to approach someone about a sponsorship, but that's often the only way to get it done.

What REALLY sucks is when you have a few people tell you in December or January that they'd love to sponsor your team, offer some pretty impressive sponsorship commitments and then they won't return your phone calls for the months leading up to the beginning of the season.

Farkers..... :tsk:

That's what we're running into right now.
Sponsors can be fickle I suppose, and they're a blessing when they do commit, but when you can't rely on what people promise you (especially when they're friends) that sucks.

But...'tis what 'tis.

What REALLY sucks is when you have a few people tell you in December or January that they'd love to sponsor your team, offer some pretty impressive sponsorship commitments and then they won't return your phone calls for the months leading up to the beginning of the season.

Farkers..... :tsk:

Yep... Or if you have someone tell you that they will get back to you and they never do :rolleyes: That seems to be common, too.

As others said, it can be a lot of work. We raised more in cash this year (nearly $19,000) for our Memphis in May BBQfest booth than a midsize local festival (Atoka BBQfest) raised for their entire event... but we worked hard for the money. That's not to mention $5k in beer, $5k in liquor, $20k in audiovisual setup, $4-5k in meat, etc. We hustle for that stuff and provide value to our sponsors.

1) Create a good marketing kit. We use tiers that outline who are are, why they should sponsor us, and what they are getting for their money. Be sure to think from their point of view. I'm sure you think you've got the best BBQ within 100miles, but sponsors need to justify the expenses with one of two things.. exposure or entertainment. We even went so far as to create two kits that present the same info in very slightly different ways (varied phrasing & photos) based on if we felt a sponsor was looking for exposure or entertainment. If you're a smaller team and cant entertain at the festival, that narrows your focus.

2) Spread the word. Reach out through your network. have your freinds look into who they know. Cold call / email companies who might benefit from the exposure/entertainment you can provide.

3) Be realistic. Weber probably gets 1000 sponsor requests a year.. if not more. They have no reason to sponsor every weekend warrior out there and tend to stick to bigger event sponsorships. Target companies/individuals/businesses that are realistically going to be interested.

4) Collecting can be tricky. We have a dedicated team account with a linked Paypal account for collecting dues and sponsor payments. This allows you to accept Credit Card payments as well (minus a 3% fee), which is great for companies/individuals who may want to hide the spending in an expense account.

5) Fastest way to lose a sponsor is to not follow through. IF they're at the event, give them a little lagniappe.... something over and above. One group gets mason jars of our mustard sauce they love. Another sponsor is a scotch lover so we surprised them with a bottle of McCallan 18yr at the event for them to enjoy. Make sure you not only meet, but exceed what you promised them.

6) Follow up. Want to be sponsored again next year? Follow through after the event(s).. let them know how you did. Send them pictures of their banners on display (preferably with lots of people around so they feel like they got exposure). Show pictures of your food being prepped and ideally your accolades. Explain how you're improving on things for next year, thank them for support, and ask when would be a good time to reconnect for next year. If funds are large enough, a thank you plaque w/ good pic of your setup with their banner visible or something never hurts.

TLDR:
They key is to show value... think from their perspective on what they're getting... be clear and realistic about what you want/need... and to follow through/follow up.

Last edited:
When entering into an agreement with a sponsor make sure you make a signed contract that spells out in plain English what is expected of both parties.

It's all about developing relationships and adding value to their brand. If you approach people with your hand out expecting to get freebies you will be disappointed. If you develop relationships, are genuinely enthusiastic about their products and can show your value talking sponsorship opportunities becomes much easier.

It is not an overnight process and you always have to remember that you need to over return on their investment.

A good friend of mine is sponsored by Royal Oak and he is very happy with his deal. I don't know any of the details, but his site set up looks great.

As others said, it can be a lot of work. We raised more in cash this year (nearly $19,000) for our Memphis in May BBQfest booth than a midsize local festival (Atoka BBQfest) raised for their entire event... but we worked hard for the money. That's not to mention $5k in beer, $5k in liquor, $20k in audiovisual setup, $4-5k in meat, etc. We hustle for that stuff and provide value to our sponsors.

1) Create a good marketing kit. We use tiers that outline who are are, why they should sponsor us, and what they are getting for their money. Be sure to think from their point of view. I'm sure you think you've got the best BBQ within 100miles, but sponsors need to justify the expenses with one of two things.. exposure or entertainment. We even went so far as to create two kits that present the same info in very slightly different ways (varied phrasing & photos) based on if we felt a sponsor was looking for exposure or entertainment. If you're a smaller team and cant entertain at the festival, that narrows your focus.

2) Spread the word. Reach out through your network. have your freinds look into who they know. Cold call / email companies who might benefit from the exposure/entertainment you can provide.

3) Be realistic. Weber probably gets 1000 sponsor requests a year.. if not more. They have no reason to sponsor every weekend warrior out there and tend to stick to bigger event sponsorships. Target companies/individuals/businesses that are realistically going to be interested.

4) Collecting can be tricky. We have a dedicated team account with a linked Paypal account for collecting dues and sponsor payments. This allows you to accept Credit Card payments as well (minus a 3% fee), which is great for companies/individuals who may want to hide the spending in an expense account.

5) Fastest way to lose a sponsor is to not follow through. IF they're at the event, give them a little lagniappe.... something over and above. One group gets mason jars of our mustard sauce they love. Another sponsor is a scotch lover so we surprised them with a bottle of McCallan 18yr at the event for them to enjoy. Make sure you not only meet, but exceed what you promised them.

6) Follow up. Want to be sponsored again next year? Follow through after the event(s).. let them know how you did. Send them pictures of their banners on display (preferably with lots of people around so they feel like they got exposure). Show pictures of your food being prepped and ideally your accolades. Explain how you're improving on things for next year, thank them for support, and ask when would be a good time to reconnect for next year. If funds are large enough, a thank you plaque w/ good pic of your setup with their banner visible or something never hurts.

TLDR:
They key is to show value... think from their perspective on what they're getting... be clear and realistic about what you want/need... and to follow through/follow up.

Solid Advice from a frickin marketing monster. Matts MIM team Usual Saucepects consistently recruits sponsors at a rate that puts us in awe.

I just copied this for my teams use. Hahaha

All great advice. Make sure they feel that they are getting more than their money's worth. Talking about their products like, Mad Cow Cutlery's knives, Big Ron's Rubs or the Chop's Power Injector System, when people ask for suggestions really makes them happy. I usually offer up my second injector to the first team that asks for it at a competition for them to try.
Also, if you can't handle hearing being told "No" then stop right now. Businesses can be very picky about their advertising budgets.
Remember the work doesn't end once you get it, it only begins.

Last edited:
Solid Advice from a frickin marketing monster. Matts MIM team Usual Saucepects consistently recruits sponsors at a rate that puts us in awe.

I just copied this for my teams use. Hahaha

Thanks for the kind words, GB. If you guys ever need help getting materials together I'll be happy to assist. :thumb:

Since you said you havent cooked your first contest I would start with selling your leftovers to friends etc. Then offer them to local business as a ROI for sponsoring. Or offer to cater an office party at cost etc... for a sponsorship.

The best way to get sponsors is to cook a lot and win.

Thank you all, this helps me a lot. My wife works for a hospice company and there is a few Doctors and a locally owned pharmacy that we are going to call and set up meetings with and when we go we are going to take some Q with us for them to try. My wife's company may even be a prospect that we meet with. Once again thank you every one for your advise.

Back