• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Contest Announcment Greenport Brewery - 6/27 - LI, NY

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Venue: Greenport Harbor Brewery
Host/Organizer: Rich, Venue Owner
Sanctioned: In the works
Dates: June 27, 28 2015

Specifics:

Standard four category contest on the beautiful grounds of the Greenport Harbor Brewery. There are two locations for the brewery. One is small and in Greenport, the other is large and in Peconic. This event is going to be in Peconic.

There are a number of very cool details surrounding the event that are being finalized, but the date and type of contest is set.

Rich, the owner, is a very nice guy who seems dedicated to putting on a first rate event and he has the resources to do so.

Our only concern is that most BBQ folks are teetotalers who despise beer. Please overcome your innate prejudices.

Rich, Brian Collins or I will update with more information as soon as each ancillary facet becomes finalized.

Eric

Our only concern is that most BBQ folks are teetotalers who despise beer. Please overcome your innate prejudices.

That, and the new contest in Waterbury, VT the same weekend. Choices, Choices.

Will it be NEBS listed?

A BBQ contest at a brewery? How'd that happen? I guess I can do this
:clap2: :laugh: :clap: :thumb: :hail: :whoo: :dancer: :bounce: :biggrin:

Wow so cool another contest on Long Island. The property looks great! A whole lot of room.
Search Greenport Harbor Brewery in Peconic NY and use google earth. It right smack in the middle of wine country. The possibility of making this a vacation is right there. June on the north fork. They write movies of such vacations. :)
I wonder if they can get some help from the cross sound ferry for the new englanders. That would make it a no brainer for them.

Would any of the new england teams like something like this?

http://www.gocampingamerica.com/parks/new-york/cliff-eds-campground

This is an RV park close by. Just a few minutes away.

To all those scared of the city please reconsider. The Island is not that bad. Some of the stories you deal with are 30 years old. Just because its a dead end doesn't mean you will get stuck.
Also the ferry over from New England cuts out the whole drive down 95 and onto the island. It leaves from New London Connecticut (exit 83) I think. There is also one out of Bridgeport but that isn't worth it unless you are close to Bridgeport.

Lodging is limited and will sell out quickly.

Silver Sands Motel
631 477 0011
Sunset Motel
631 477 1776
Soundview Motel
631 477 1910
Drossos Motel
631 477 1334
Harborfront Inn
631 477 0707

Riverhead is the closest commercial center and has a number of hotels. Figure 25 minutes away.

I HATE driving with my trailer from Staten Island out to Long Island, mostly because I don't know LI well and my gps just keeps telling me to use roads that don't allow trailers. Total pain in the @ss!!

The LIE really isn't a parking lot

I HATE driving with my trailer from Staten Island out to Long Island, mostly because I don't know LI well and my gps just keeps telling me to use roads that don't allow trailers. Total pain in the @ss!!

Hey Joe as Tim said above you need to head up the BQE to the LIE and take that to the end. Exit 73 CR 58. A few miles through Riverhead to CR 105. CR 105 north to CR 43 make right. Go 1000 ft to Sound Ave and make a right. Follow Sound Ave/Cr 48 for 10 miles or so. It starts as a single lane rd but opens to two lanes. Its the truck route so its well travelled and not an issue with a trailer. Take that to Peconic Lane and make a right. Its about 107 miles and probably 2 1/2 hours max.

Everything I have heard tells me this will be a great contest. I hope more teams who would normally shy from a Long Island contest would consider this one. I know in the past many teams are worried about traffic. If you bypass the city and come in the George Washington its a safe sane and reasonable ride all the way out. The LIE has gone through major reconstruction, widening and increased service road capacity. The chances of a huge delay are minimal. Reconsider and come out and see us. We LIFO's miss you mainlanders.

For anyone thinking of coming via NYC, make it is easy on yourself as possible. Get on the Long Island Expressway (I495) eastbound. Go all the way till it ends. Then keep going. (Technically, you're taking exit 73). Continue eastbound (this is Route 58.) You'll go through Riverhead. Keep going eastbound. As you're exiting Riverhead, it'll turn into State Route 25. Continue eastbound. The Greenport Brewery will eventually be on your left (at the corner of Peconic Lane) in Peconic. So...you can just get on the LIE and never need to use your turn signal, until turning into the venue. Skips's route is sometimes a little faster, but if you want easy, this is easy.

And from the Bridgeport or New London ferries, it's not any more difficult.

I live and work nearby, I'm very familiar with the area, businesses, bars, stores and hotels. Feel free to give me a shout with questions.

Last edited:
For anyone thinking of coming via NYC, make it is easy on yourself as possible. Get on the Long Island Expressway (I495) eastbound. Go all the way till it ends. Then keep going. (Technically, you're taking exit 73). Continue eastbound (this is Route 58.) You'll go through Riverhead. Keep going eastbound. As you're exiting Riverhead, it'll turn into State Route 25. Continue eastbound. The Greenport Brewery will eventually be on your left (at the corner of Peconic Lane) in Peconic. So...you can just get on the LIE and never need to use your turn signal, until turning into the venue. Skips's route is sometimes a little faster, but if you want easy, this is easy.

And from the Bridgeport of New London ferries, it's not any more difficult.

I live and work nearby, I'm very familiar with the area, businesses, bars, stores and hotels. Feel free to give me a shout with questions.

That is easier but not always quicker. I was just thinking of traffic on Main Street going out in June. Trailers on that one lane rd that does 35 MPH is not the greatest of drives :grin:.

CR 48 offers truck route standards and two lanes. But if you aren't pulling a trailer I agree just stay on 25 its a nice road. Real state rural route through town. Think a New England version of Historic RT 66. lol

That is easier but not always quicker. I was just thinking of traffic on Main Street going out in June. Trailers on that one lane rd that does 35 MPH is not the greatest of drives :grin:.

CR 48 offers truck route standards and two lanes. But if you aren't pulling a trailer I agree just stay on 25 its a nice road. Real state rural route through town. Think a New England version of Historic RT 66. lol

Yep. I know when I'm heading to a contest, it's often nice to get a grip on what's around. Coming in on the main road, you'll see some grocery stores, 7-11s, delis, and the like. On the North Road, you'll see...a few farms and a crappy gas station. But no doubt, it saves a few minutes.

Sure should be fun, we're certainly looking forward to it.

Back