Feasibility? Revenues?

I_Use_The_Force

Got Wood.
Hi Guys,

I've considered a food truck/trailer for a while...primarily as a hobby, to practice for kcbs, and to earn a bit of cash on the side. We don't have a ton of cash to spare, so I wanted to ask a few questions and get answer from those with experience in the business.

1) What upfront costs are we looking at?

2) What do your typical earnings look like or how much do you typically make on an hourly basis?

3) What types of events/locations are the most lucrative to frequent? I've got a good relationship with a lot of the local breweries in our area, so that might be good. We have sporting events year round as well in Charlotte, so I think we could maybe get a street vendor license - though I'm not really keen on constantly being hassled by bums.

4) How much of your business is walk up business vs developing a following? If you post where your food truck/trailer will be, how often do you have return customers following you?

5) If you have a food truck/trailer and compete in KCBS, could you use that as a tax write off? Since it's a business, and you're trying to make money by placing at KCBS, I don't see why you couldn't write off all those things?

6) What portion of the food you sell is pulled pork, chicken, and brisket?

TIA!

I've considered a food truck/trailer for a while...primarily as a hobby, to practice for kcbs, and to earn a bit of cash on the side.

In my opinion you eliminated yourself from wanting to do this with that statement. It's 60 plus hours a week, there is no part time Saturday work to it. You will only be fooling yourself if you think that is all it will be. Also there is a 90% chance you will end up not doing competition anymore if you decide to start a food truck.

Agreed - From experience, part time would not be a feasible option. PM me if you want to talk more. Good luck.

Typically, food trucks and trailers do not make a lot of money, typically you are looking at less than 10 cents return on the dollar, and that's if you're killing it. HBMTN is in the biz, so it's no surprise he nails the fact that you're going to work longer and harder than you're thinking. BBQ is the only restaurant business where you prep for 16 hours to be open for 6 hours.

Up front costs: $60 - $80K minimum (truck, equipment, supplies, insurance, licenses/permits, operating capital, etc, etc). These days you could easily be pushing more toward $100K to get up and running.

As others have stated, if you plan is to do "part time" you will need a small fortune to keep the "business" afloat. It will definitely be a hobby and not a business.

Our intention is not to discourage but to be honest about what you will be facing in this type of venture.

Back