• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

500 gallon offset build- The birth of "Hoss"

ShencoSmoke

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I posted an (incorrect) thread a few weeks ago about the tank I bought off of craigslist. The seller said it was 1000 gal. but once i did the calcs it is 500 gal, 37" internal width and about 10 feet long. The seller (great guy BTW) builds smokers but decided not to continue with this one. I went with thoughts of just buying the tank but he wanted me to take the trailer as well, which he built to haul tanks with. The price was right so I hauled them home. He has already cut a portion off of the back and had burned it out and rinsed it real well. He fabricated the trailer frame out of 3 and 4" channel, and added the tongue, axle, and springs from a camper. We adjusted the tank as far forward as possible in order account for the large firebox I had in mind.

My plan is to build a standard offset with jambo and frankilin bbq attributes. Not a clone of either one, just taking what I like best about both and combining them. The firebox connection to the chamber will be at grate level like the jambo, the stack connection will also be at grate level but will be more like Franklin's. He provides detail about how he builds his stack connections in his book.

Here it is when i pulled it home.

Here is an up close of the axle

The back of the trailer will need to be adjusted for the fire box.

I plan to cut out the 3 inch channel and replace it with a new frame which will eventually become the bottom of the firebox. I want the bottom of the firebox to be stout because it will be roughly 12" from the ground.

From there I will construct the inner liner of the firebox with 3/16th plate which i found at the scrap yard.

and then I will add an 1-1/2" of insulation and construct the outer box. It will cover the 4" channel and give it a clean look. I left the top off so you could see in inside

Here it is with the firebox hole cut out, the inner dimension of the FB will be 30" tall by 36" wide, by 38" long (41,000 ci), the chamber is about 115,000 ci. The two doors will be about 34" long each

A friend provided the name when he called the tank a "hoss" and the name stuck. time is scarce but im motivated to get it done. stay tuned.

I vote for a Camo Paint Job :heh:

If I could get the guy that painted Garrett's I would! Im liking the rustic look. I wired brushed some of the tank and was thinking a high heat clear coat would be cool. Of course that would showcase my horrific welds, so I might need paint to cover them up.

Lookng good so far; all subscribed up to follow along,

Dave- How would you connect the tank to the trailer? The angle he used to rest the tank on is galvanized. So if I wanted to weld to that I would have to grind off the galvanization at the weld point, correct? I guess the other option woud be to weld on vertical supports connecting the frame to the tank.

Best of luck on your exciting project. Since I am a pretty handy guy, if I do say so myself, I will give you the following free advice: "220 ... 221, whatever it takes."

I love Ponderosa and Hoss had a real cool hat but that smoker will be better!

Dang shenco i wish you lived closer ...I gotta get a C.A.D drawing of something done and it looks like you're pretty good at that stuff. That is a C.A.D drawing isn't it?

Dave- How would you connect the tank to the trailer? The angle he used to rest the tank on is galvanized. So if I wanted to weld to that I would have to grind off the galvanization at the weld point, correct? I guess the other option woud be to weld on vertical supports connecting the frame to the tank.

I would not use the angle. Looks to me like the channel that runs the length on the trailer is 4 inch, the cross members look like 3 inch. If that is correct you should have a little better that 1-1/2 inches of flat surface on the top edge of the 4 inch long channel. I would get some heavy wall 1-1/2X1-1/2 square tubing and cut short legs that would be welded to the top of the long channel and the bottom of the tank. I would be tempted to angle them in slightly (maybe 15*) - triangulation is a good thing - and I would probably put 3 legs on each side where the cross members are. Looks like you will be welding the firebox to the trailer frame at the back end so I don't see a need for legs there.

Edit: an alternative would be to make short legs welded directly to the top of the 4 inch channel and then put the angle on top of the legs running from front to back positioned with the open "V" of the angle is up. That way you have continuous support for the tank; just drop it in line it up and weld it to the angle.

I love Ponderosa and Hoss had a real cool hat but that smoker will be better!

Dang shenco i wish you lived closer ...I gotta get a C.A.D drawing of something done and it looks like you're pretty good at that stuff. That is a C.A.D drawing isn't it?

I use cad daily but I actually used "sketch up" for those drawings. They give you a free demo, a very useful tool for projects like this. The drawing I posted took less than 5 minutes to make.

I am so ready for this!!!

I built "Edna" about 8 years ago. Best offset I ever had. Sold her to a local BBQ joint and regret ever since;

Attachments

• EDNA THE BITCHIN SMOKER.jpg
    EDNA THE BITCHIN SMOKER.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 915
Dude I like it! It's a lot of fun putting these thing together. And don't worry about cloning. This day and age there is not one thing that can be original other than paint jobs.

I would say dwfisk has a point on mounting it. 2 kickers on the front to hold it up there and then 2 in the rear against the box is what I might do that way you can leave the space under the chamber to haul wood.
And here is the hard part!! If the box is gonna be insulated the axel need to be moved back to were the axel center line is within 6 inches of the box. The inner box will need to be 10 cubic ft or better. That computes to a really heavy box.

Back