What bacon should be

mjpmap

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I post this with deference to all the brethren who make their own bacon. It's an art that is should never be lost. I had a different post this week about a shipment of ham and bacon I got from a Virginia smoke house. I made BLT's tonight and thought I would show you how this compares to the store bought stuff. The first pic is what it looks like in the wrapper.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 251
This pic shows the raw size of the bacon vs fully cooked. As you can see, there is very little shrinkage. The aroma of oak smoke and pepper while it fried was just a little piece of heaven.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 246
I do my own bacon but if I had to buy it that's what I would want!

Fresh tomatoes, bacon and a good leaf lettuce on sourdough toast with mayo.... sorry I got caught up in the moment!

And this is what it looks like on a BLT. Four slices filled the sammich perfectly. Like the header said, this is what bacon is supposed to be! As always, thanks for looking.
PS: The bacon was $6 per pound, plus shipping. An absolute bargain for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 243
Hmmmm... I believe you will need an independent taste test and I will offer my taste buds at no cost. Great job.:razz:

Hard to beat home grown bacon. Looks delicious!

Home made sure kicks mate.
Your Bacon and sandwich looks very tasty

I just cook it on the kettle because it's less messy than indoors. No other excuse needed.

I grew up on home grown home cured bacon and ham. It is better than anything you can buy at the grocery store.

Yours looks really good and makes me want to get back to my roots and make my own.

This pic shows the raw size of the bacon vs fully cooked. As you can see, there is very little shrinkage. The aroma of oak smoke and pepper while it fried was just a little piece of heaven.

"Shrinkage, you say?"

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    486.6 KB · Views: 59
Back