Cheap Steaks, Top Sirloin or Flat Iron

Evil-g

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Both are on sale here for $4.88lb. so I figure I'd get some for a rainy day.

Which do you prefer and why?

Iv'e been getting the flat iron lately and could not be happier.
I sous vide for 2-3 hours at 128 then screaming hot sear and viola!
Oh and BTW...anyway you slice it, it's tender.

20160812_194444.jpg

20160812_194603.jpg

I dont think that they need the sous vide it is just my automatic go to process anymore because it allows me a bigger window of time and it will be done the same every time.

I enjoy both a top sirloin and flat iron but I'm more partial to the flat iron. I find that the flat irons are more tender and flavorful than the top sirloins.

I do a reverse sear on the flat iron steaks whenever I cook them. They also take well to marinades, and go great in tacos.

The flat irons have great flavor,and typically some good marbling. The only downside to them is the usual super gnarly fat vein running right through the middle of most of the ones I see. I just cut around,but wish it wasn't there.

The flat irons have great flavor,and typically some good marbling. The only downside to them is the usual super gnarly fat vein running right through the middle of most of the ones I see. I just cut around,but wish it wasn't there.

So do the sirloins most of the time, it's a heavy band of connective tissue that runs right across the middle. You have to cut it out unless you want it on your plate (I don't).

....but I've heard Piggy Wiggly is offering A5 Wagyu ribeye on sale for $2.20 a pound today :mrgreen:

So do the sirloins most of the time, it's a heavy band of connective tissue that runs right across the middle. You have to cut it out unless you want it on your plate (I don't).

....but I've heard Piggy Wiggly is offering A5 Wagyu ribeye on sale for $2.20 a pound today :mrgreen:

I guess the meat prices get better the further west you go. I could eat steak everyday at those prices.

OK price for top sirloin but a really good price for the flat iron steaks. If the quality of both is comparable I'd be buying some flat iron steaks for the kettle grill.

If you can talk to the meat cutter and get a look at the whole sirloin. Find one with some marbling, and get them to cut it into 2 inch thick steaks you will be a happy man. Reverse sear those babies on a kettle or egg and life will be good

Flat Iron hands down!

Heavy sear and cold red in the center, slice thin at an angle and enjoy!

Back