Thawing meat

BBQWildcat

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am in need of some advice... or at least some reassurance!
I found out yesterday that me and my buddies are doing all day cook on Xmas day since we are doing family stuff on other days, I am trying to thaw out a double pack of butts. It is about 15 pounds total. My question is, what is the best way to thaw in time for cooking tomorrow morning. And is is ok to cook even though it may still be a little frozen?

I have to help a newbie drumhead learn a little about his drum, and just wanna set him up right!

Thanks in advance

Tuck

Put the butts (still in the cryo) in a big bowl or roasting pan or bucket or ? and set it in the bath tub and let cold water trickle onto them. It's OK to cook when slightly frozen, but that will add to the cook time so plan on it.

Yep, thaw in the cryo in cold water is the safe way when you're in a hurry.
If it were me, I would keep those in the freezer for another day. Why not head out to the store and buy a couple of butts that are ready to go now?

Heading to the store right now is near suicide...I had to throw a few elbows and knee cap some ole' ladies who were muscling in on my line.

Put in laundry tub. Fill to cover with water. Change water every hour. Will be thawed in 5-6 hours. Enjoy! :biggrin:

Fridge if you have time. No time, same as everyone else said and it's the fastest way. In sink,or tub with water slowly running.

Actually A.B. had this as a rerun just the other night (except it was a duck)...

Put the butts (still in the cryo) in a big bowl or roasting pan or bucket or ? and set it in the bath tub and let cold water trickle onto them. It's OK to cook when slightly frozen, but that will add to the cook time so plan on it.
Bingo!

Fridge if you have time. No time, same as everyone else said and it's the fastest way. In sink,or tub with water slowly running.
I think the fridge is going to take more than just a couple of days... I would thaw in water and then put them in the fridge.

Yeah that's what I meant to say. If you have a week the fridge is fine. But the water works tons faster.

Back