1st Annual Bigmista Turkey Smoke

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I have just started the 1st Annual Bigmista Turkey Smoke and I wanted to share with the brethren. I am smoking 2 Turkeys. One today and one tomorrow. (Space limiations) I brined both overnight and rubbed the first and put it in the smoker with mesquite lump, hickory chunks and some rosemary leaves spread on the fire. Here are the first few pics:

1st_Annual_Bigmista_Turkey_Smoke.jpg

1st_Anuual_adding_Hickory.jpg

ahhh... Mista it looks raw and I think someone put celery inside it and someone is stealing chunks a wood...That forearm looks like popeyes :shock:
but seriously how hot is your temp and how long will you smoke them for?

TEmp is running between 275° and 300°. I am going to smoke it till the thigh hits 170°. I'll post another pic in a few minutes.

Had some welding gloves. Can't remember what happened to them.

Anyway, in this pic the thigh is at 135°. (YAY! I got a digital probe thermometer!) We're about halfway done...

1st_Anuual_halfway_done.jpg

<doing best Freddie Prinze mod> Looking Good!

Mista, real nice color. You spraying anything on that bird or is the color just from the hickory?

Drizzled a mixture of Olive oil, Apple cider vinegar and worchestershire on him when he started looking a little dry on top.

I brined hime overnight so he should be good and juicy inside.

Neil,
Looking Great- I am hungry now!
So--go find those welding gloves and serve him up with some of the sauce "on the side" that you sent me :lol:
Ya will need them to handle the sauce :lol: :lol: :lol:
Love it!
TIM

Bigmista....nice looking bird. I hope my smoking comes out as good as yours...damn that looks good!

OK here are a couple of pics of the finished product. I will start the other one tomorrow.

1st_Anuual_finished_product.jpg

1st_Anuual_all_done.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Neil,

Great looking bird!!!
I know it will taste as good as it looks.

I am about to start mine in the brine now for smoking tommorow.

ooooo baby......i wish it was our thanksgiving!!! or maybe i could just head south for the weekend and pretend!

looks great!....i gotta tell ya, as gross as it is i love the skin......and it looks fantastic.....think fedex will accept it??? :p

Only been up for 1/2 hour and I'm ready to eat now after looking at those pics. I agree with TK regarding the 180* in the thigh.

Looks great man!!!

Very nice looking bird Mista. I thought the thigh should register 180 though

Maybe Mista is using the carry-over cooking method--residual heat.

What does the celery do? I thought it was a no no to stuff a turkey that is being smoked?

Looks great though, I hope mine turns out as nice!

Celery, onion and apples just for aromatics. Not gonna eat them.

Back