Whole Hog

bilgee2

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I am wanting a SF badly and want to be able to do whole hogs as well. What size and what configuration/accessories would be best to do around 100lb whole hogs? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Definitely thinking a trailer model would be best just for mobility. Thanks!

First, I would love to have a Shirley, but don't :icon_sad
But, my self built RF is 24" diameter and about 72" total length. The governing dimensions for me are the door/main grate dimensions that are 24" X 54" and the max whole hog I can/have cooked is a135#'r racer style. If you prefer to cook Carolina style (a butterfly'd hog) the same size will take a 30" diameter. If you can figure out how to fit it in the budget, I would try to get a 30" X 72".

Matt - I know you tried to do the hog on your 24x55 and ended up using a 24x60 - would it have worked in yours - but too close to where heat comes out so would burn or would it not fit?

Thanks,

Mark

@Shagdog, @Ayvatr

How did they turn out racer style? Do you do them belly down or belly up on the grate? Seems like belly up would hold juices better but I am sure it creates other issues. Thanks!

Back